Do you live near any battlefields?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Enfield1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My son lives maybe 20 miles from Brandywine battlefield.

Do you live near any battlefields?
I live about 30 minutes from the Andersonville Civil War Prison. About 45 minutes to the West of me, across the “Hooch” into Alabama is the Ft. Mitchell War of 1812 Battlefield. 2 hours North is Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield. That one is unique because original earthworks are still there. Another hour North is Chickamauga (spelling?). I wish I lived much closer to it. The firearms collection in that museum is the most extensive I have ever seen and that includes having spent much time in the Fort Benning Infantry Museum, here.

Boommeup

32 Cal
Reaction score
I live by Fort Meigs, which was part of the war of 1812. That’s in NW Ohio!

rickpa

32 Cal
Reaction score
I live within a half hour of Fort Pitt, Bushy Run, Braddock's Defeat, and Fort Ligonier. Another 15 minutes would take me to Jumonville Glen and Fort Necessity. One and a half hours would take me to Fort Bedford. Braddock's Road is just a 15 minute drive from my house and I know of a farmer whose fields were crossed by Braddock's Road and has turned up relics while plowing.

sawyer04

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In the late fifty's and early sixty's the family would drive through Lexington, Missouri where a cannon ball was stuck in the pillar of the court house. As a teenager use to explore around the area and found many musket balls, some shot and some not. As far as I know there wasn't any battles where we found the musket balls, but who knows what and where skirmishes took place.

MI MAN

32 Cal
Reaction score
South Eastern Michigan battle of Brownstown and raisin river war of 1812. I have to say I am glad the English were tied up with other European foes at that time.

Boatncamp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The Sullivan Campaign floated past my land on the Susquehanna. Newton Battlefield is 90 minutes to the southwest. Saratoga 90 minutes to the northeast. 70 minutes to Fort Stanwick. 40 minutes to Schoharie and Old Stone Fort, 40 minutes to Cherry Valley

stephenprops1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am not aware of any battle sites near where I currently live. I have lived in Lancaster, Ohio and there was a big battle there at a place that is now a city park called Rising Park. The settlers were camped on the flat lands and the Indians were hidden on a big hill they called Standing Stone. The settlers held their ground and the defeated Indians retreated back on to Standing Stone and then disappeared. There was a Frontiersman there named Forrest Rose (a Daniel Boone type fellow). He lived in a ledge/cave in Standing Stone for some time. He may have fought for the settlers that day.

SDSmlf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Some may have heard of Cowpens and Kings Mountain. Hunted a lease near Cowpens for years, maybe 40 minutes away. Bride and I hike the trails at Kings Mountain (and Crowders Mountain) maybe half a dozen times a year. About a 20 minute drive from the house. Usually watch city of Kings Mountain July 4th fireworks, but they were canceled this year.

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Not so much anymore, but I grew up near many of the battlefields of Middle Tennessee, including the Franklin battlefield where I scrounged around with classmates for Minie balls and such. Then I lived in Chalmette, LA for a few years right down the street from the Battle of New Orleans site, and drove past it on my way to work every day.

Also lived near and worked right in and around Columbus, NM, site of the last invasion of the continental U.S. by Pancho Villa's group and the remains of Camp Furlong where Pershing launched his revenge campaign. A number of other "skirmish" sites around, mostly having to do with the Indian wars.

Now the closest one is about 4 hours away at Fort George, site of the Penobscot Expedition, the greatest U.S. naval defeat until Pearl Harbor and the court martial of Paul Revere.

A little further down the road is Pemaquid, Fort William Henry, and the site of numerous battles of French and Indian nature including King Phillip's War, King Williams War and Dummer's War.

Actually much closer to some in K-bec and NB, Canada, like Chateauguay, Plains of Abraham and the Acadian Battlefield at Petitcodiac, but still a couple hours away..

Last edited:

fire bear

32 Cal
Reaction score
I grew up in Ligonier Pennsylvania. The reconstructed fort was in my grandparents back yard so I got to spend a lot of time there in the late 50s and early 60s. The grandparents home was eventually acquired by the Fort Foundation and they found the remains of an underground powder storage room on their old lot. The powder storage room has been rebuilt so if you now visit the fort you can see where their lot was. Arthur St Clair lived in the area and George Washington said the time he felt in the most danger was when he got caught in a friendly fire incident somewhere west of town. The Fort is now a great French and Indian War Museum, some say the best in the world.

BullRunBear

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I live near Manassas Battlefield (that's where the Bull Run part of my sign on comes from) and about 2 hours from Gettysburg. If we read the old battle maps correctly, part of the Confederate army marched through our backyard on the way to 1st Manassas.

Jeff

Southernfi

32 Cal
Reaction score
I live 20 minutes from the Battle of Brice's Crossroads. On the edge of where the first part of the Battle of Ackia took place. The part where D'Argutet was killed. Also right close to the Battle of Harrisburg/Tupelo.

Reaction score
Another Middle Tennessee resident here. Most people living here don't understand that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an Indian wars battlefield. Clarksville and Nashville areas were a hot spot from 1779 to 1800 or so.

Olddude

32 Cal
Reaction score
I live in Fayetteville, NC. Have several Civil war sites near me Bentonville, Averasboro, Goldsboro surrender. Sherman slept in Fayetteville and blew up the arsenal. we also have some revwar sites, Moore's Creek,
Guilford Courthouse, Ramsour's Mill ,and Cross Creek/Campbelltown- (before Fayetteville) had skirmishes with Cornwallis as he marched to Guilford and back.

reskite

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My grandparents owned 500 acres near Fredericksburg, VA. They would plow the fields and if it rained, there were all kinds of relics just sitting on top of the ground. Belt buckles, minie balls, round shot, all kinds of stuff. There was also some kind of flint deposit and they frequently found arrowheads and hand axes. The farmhouse served as a field hospital, but was burned in the 1960s when hunters broke in and used the stove improperly. Pretty tragic.

We used to go down there when I was a kid and the women folk would gossip and cook while the menfolk retired to the, shall we say, landfill and broke bottles and perforated cans with their pistols. Whisky tango paradise...I still remember shooting up an old wrecked car when I was about 8 with my Dad's Colt Woodsman. It was a wedding present from my mother to him and I still have it.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
I live in Fayetteville, NC. Have several Civil war sites near me Bentonville, Averasboro, Goldsboro surrender. Sherman slept in Fayetteville and blew up the arsenal. we also have some revwar sites, Moore's Creek,
Guilford Courthouse, Ramsour's Mill ,and Cross Creek/Campbelltown- (before Fayetteville) had skirmishes with Cornwallis as he marched to Guilford and back.
When I saw Bentonville and Fayetteville I didn’t think North Carolina. Just two hours or so from me is Bentonville and Fayetteville Arkansas. The old Telegraph-wire-Overland Stage road that runs near my place now in Missouri runs to those two towns in Arkansas hiting Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove

Latest posts