• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do you know what Gun this is?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
thumbnail.jpg

Got a buddy who is at an auction asking me about this Belgium .58 smoothy (And I don't know anything about smooth bores)

I have one that looks very similar that I picked up at a yard sale. It is marked Dixie Gun Works with their address and "Made in Belgium" on top of the barrel. It is about 16 gauge, and from what I was able to ascertain they were imported by Dixie about the time of the Bicentennial and marketed as "committee of safety" style muskets Somewhere around here I have a pretty old catalog from Dixie, one of the smaller ones, that has a picture and ad for it.

It appears that one has a brass barrel band and trigger guard, while the ones on mine are steel, and very simple affairs.

I’ve found that things are easier too sell , if you price them for less than it’s worth!

Great find, Congrats!

Now I have to sit back a week or so, in case he turns it for a fast profit. . . . after that. . . . .I'm bringing him over to the DARK SIDE.
Bill you want to shoot that "Once" before you let it go?
Bill I have some flints that would fit that. Then you could really take her out & stretch her legs
Bill wouldn't it be sooooo cool if you killed a Blue Grouse with that in September?
Bill, that sure would kill a Bear.
So, Bill,What are you naming your Smooth Bore?

Reminds me of one of the many types sold by Stoeger back in the Day -

These were very poor quality! I could remove the breech plug on mine with my fingers. The locks are poor quality also. We all started somewhere!
Nit Wit

Back