Do you know what Gun this is?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
thumbnail.jpg

Got a buddy who is at an auction asking me about this Belgium .58 smoothy (And I don't know anything about smooth bores)

TNGhost

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have one that looks very similar that I picked up at a yard sale. It is marked Dixie Gun Works with their address and "Made in Belgium" on top of the barrel. It is about 16 gauge, and from what I was able to ascertain they were imported by Dixie about the time of the Bicentennial and marketed as "committee of safety" style muskets Somewhere around here I have a pretty old catalog from Dixie, one of the smaller ones, that has a picture and ad for it.

It appears that one has a brass barrel band and trigger guard, while the ones on mine are steel, and very simple affairs.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve found that things are easier too sell , if you price them for less than it’s worth!

Great find, Congrats!

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Now I have to sit back a week or so, in case he turns it for a fast profit. . . . after that. . . . .I'm bringing him over to the DARK SIDE.
Bill you want to shoot that "Once" before you let it go?
Bill I have some flints that would fit that. Then you could really take her out & stretch her legs
Bill wouldn't it be sooooo cool if you killed a Blue Grouse with that in September?
Bill, that sure would kill a Bear.
So, Bill,What are you naming your Smooth Bore?

ericb

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Reminds me of one of the many types sold by Stoeger back in the Day -

nit wit

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
These were very poor quality! I could remove the breech plug on mine with my fingers. The locks are poor quality also. We all started somewhere!
Nit Wit