• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do you have to lube conicals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using wax and veggie oil melted together for years. Easy and not expensive. Works for me.

+1 for oil and wax. I use beeswax and olive oil. Cures chapped lips hunting in windy dry weather and doesn't hurt the meat (edible) I lube my hunting patches with a 'lotion' consistency ratio and pan lube the conicals with a harder ratio. (Ratios are temperature dependent so your mileage will vary on region and season)

In answer to the OP's original question, the answer is "yes" you must use a lube!

Years ago I had a friend who had a small ml shop. He was a retired machinist and dabbled many things ml. On one visit to his shop he showed me a.58 that a newbie had brought in. He was shooting CW style minies without lube. After a few shots one literally stuck in the barrel!

I've used Alox in my cast centerfire reloads and it's ok there, just we're talking about the holy black in this forum and it's garbage in that respect.

As for shooting the holy black, the lubes they used back in the day- beeswax mixed with rendered animal fat worked great then, they still work today. No need to reinvent the wheel.

It is mentioned in several Civil War Ordnance manuals. A beeswax and mutton tallow blend. I use 8:2 ratio for my combustible cartridges. I dip the round just up to the junction of the paper. I can shoot 50+ rounds with no fouling issues. I'm using the traditional conical molds from Eras Gone.

Lube is to soften fouling so it either goes down with loading or shot out. Keep it soft. No mineral oils as they create their own fouling. Beeswax has always been the best carrier for natural oils and some lanolin does great.

I think Felix is right, most leading is caused by gas cutting on the base, not friction of the bullet moving down the bore. A wad will certainly help with that, except with hollow base projectiles. (perhaps that's were the cotton mall works?) I'm am finding lately that a wool wad, soaked in hot bee's wax, (pure, no lube mix) makes a very good gas seal, both with patched balls and the LEE REAL. Again, the wax wad probably would not work good with a large hollow base.

I think most people over do it with lube. I have found that often just one groove needs to be lubed. I've experienced no leading in a ML barrel ever, even with a totally bare slug. I've had good results, with the REAL, just putting pure bee's wax in the bottom or top groove, and leaving everything else bare.

I don't believe Alox is intended for, or will work well in a muzzle loader. Your results may vary. :)

Forgot to mention...for shooting a bazillion rounds in a row without wiping, then yes, lots of lube. I'm into first round from a cold clean barrel hunting accuracy, and for that kind of shooting, maybe three rounds at most, but mostly that first shot out of a clean barrel, I can get away with minimum lube.

Latest posts

Back