• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do you carry a modern sidearm when hunting in addition to your muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
I do (perfectly legal in Georgia if you have a concealed weapons permit).

I carry mainly because of the fact that we have had pot growers on the property in the past, and I'd hate to run into them at the wrong time with a single shot rifle. I know the odds of something happening are small, but it makes me feel better to know that my 10mm is available in an emergency.

Daniel Boone didn't to worry about the drug cartels with AKs. I do!

No, never.. Hunting with a traditional gun seems a bit more exciting when you have no backup. Especially, when bear hunting. My only backup is a bowie knife.

I asked a warden once about using a CF handgun as backup in muzzleloader season. He said it's not legal. I said even if your life is in danger? He said the DOW expects the hunter to make a good shot with the muzzleloader. He's right.

I usually do, but it’s mainly for Coyotes, wild dogs, and mountain lions. I make an effort to avoid that sinking feeling one gets when one is being eaten and one could have avoided it by not letting their ideals interfere with reality. I grew up hunting in Alaska where not carrying a sidearm while in the woods is considered evidence of a mental defect, so that may have shaped my figgering somewhat. To each his own.

Last edited:
Depends where you live. Here, a muzzleloader pistol is not anymore legal than a 44 mag.

Carry a modern side arm everywhere, better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. And yes I am legally classified to carry in all states with the exception of Georgia and Illinois.

I started as soon as Pennsylvania made it legal. I had two bear encounters that made me decide that it made sense (I never can find them during bear season). I also carry during archery season when bear encounters are more likely (we do have bears that chew on archers here).

No mater what the occasion here in Central Pa. , I carry legally. There are criminals on the streets in town , as well as 20 miles out in the woods. Have had some interesting interactions with eastern Pa. city folks with criminal warrants that "hide out" at grandma's house up in the woods. Usually if one of these criminals are noticed and information can be gleaned on them , the State Police will call ya back and thank you for calling. We got big rattle snakes , camp ground bears that don't fear humans , mountain lions. I don't pick fights , but don't want these creatures in my space.........oldwood

If you get in between an big old nasty sow hog and her babies here in east Texas there are two things you are going to be in dire need of, good tree climbing skills and a big bore side arm. I am here to testify that if this ever happens to you on a walk in to your hunting spot before daylight, I will promise you, you will never, ever get caught nekked again.

I always carry period. It's just something you put on when you put your wallet in your pocket. We have a lot of Meth addicts where I live and the local law enforcement is usually at least 30 minutes away.

It varies. If I truly think i need protection from anything, I carry a 1911 45 ACP. If I want to take opportunities on small game while hunting without a lot of noise i carry a 22 pistol and sub sonic ammo.

In Colorado you can open carry any sidearm while hunting in any season BUT you cannot use it on any game animal unless it is legal for that animal during that season. So, using anything that is not a legal ml during ml season on the animal you are licensed to hunt is illegal. That includes any "coup de gras".

It's kind of like carrying an EpiPen when you have a known allergy: you may go years -- or forever -- without needing to use it, but if you do ever need it, there is absolutely no substitute for it!

Many years ago, I was trout fishing in the North Georgia mountains, when I got attacked by three big dogs. I was unarmed and used my fishing rod across their faces to buy enough time to back into the river. The dogs followed, but, fortunately, the hole I was fishing was deep enough, and the water swift enough, that they lost footing and were swept far enough downstream to lose interest in ripping my throat out and instead swam back to shore on their side.

Since that day, I'm always packing when I'm in the woods.

I carry the bowie but i'm sure i'm too old to use it on a bear. My real backup is bear spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back