• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you carry a modern sidearm when hunting in addition to your muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes. We had four bears on the property two years ago and coyotes are always a possibility. Either a Model 29 or a 1911 in 10mm. The 10mm is a wonderful cartridge. If I'm feeling nostalgic it might be a 44 C + B. If late season ML only then a .54 Plains Pistol.

Carrying a modern weapon during while muzzleloader hunting is illegal here.

ADK Bigfoot
I knew it is illegal during archery season, which makes absolutely no sense at all but this is NY where you are guilty of intent if nothing else cuz New York. I did not know it was illegal during muzzleloader season. I'll have to look that one up.
Robby

I haven't gone hunting yet in Massachusetts with a muzzleloader (just with bow and arrow), but some of the laws oriented around carrying certain firearms in the woods while hunting seasons are in effect are difficult to understand, so from a legal standpoint you are just better off leaving the handgun at home.

Our only "big predator" here is coyote (there are some bears, as well as unofficial sightings of wolves and mountain lions, but they are fairly rare and largely limited to the mountainous western half of the state), so i am not too concerned about throwing down with something that wants to nibble on my toes. In the future, I might get a ML hangun to match my musket, but that is as much for cool-factor as it is for actual utility

Because this is a Traditional Muzzleloading forum where discussing modern arms is not allowed outside the Premium Member area, I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back