• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do Slixshot nipples lessen cap jams in Colt style C&B?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve bought 3 Uberti’s in the past year. No issues with the factory cones on my Walker. Tried Slix shots on my 1860 and it actually gave me more issues than the stock nipples, so I’ve been using factory on that. Now my ‘51 seems to blast the caps apart whether I use factory or the slix shots, so I put the factory ones back in that until I get that one figured out. Seems like people just automatically put the slix in before testing the factory nipples first. But maybe the factory cones are of better quality lately. Just my experience

Jim my sincerest condolences. Losing a parent is a hard thing, but just remember the good times. That is my way I remember my Mom and Dad.
Sincerely
Bunk (AKA Walter)

I love the handling of my Colt 1851 (Pietta) and 1860 (Uberti) C&B but the cap jams can be annoying. I've seen Mike Beliveau's video on making Colt style repros more reliable and I'll do that. Just wondering if Slixshot nipples are really as effective as their reputation. Any experience with them? Better alternatives? Thanks.

Jeff
Have you ever seen the old westerns where the cowboy raises his cap and ball pistol to 90 degrees when he turns the cylinder? That was to allow the cap to fall to the ground instead of jamming the revolver.

Have you ever seen the old westerns where the cowboy raises his cap and ball pistol to 90 degrees when he turns the cylinder? That was to allow the cap to fall to the ground instead of jamming the revolver.
Yes, and it can really begin to get annoying after several hundred rounds. Just sayin'.

I have found that Slixshot nipples and cleaning the sharp edges on the hammer slot or JB Weld in the hammer slot will go a long way to keeping caps on the nipple so they fall free when the cylinder revolves.
Personally I do not use Hollywood as an instructor for shooting with six shot revolvers that never need
(on screen) reloading.
A cap rake/post/guard is insurance that, in my experience , almost makes a cap jam a remarkable occurrence
Ho;d Center
Bunk.

I have found that Slixshot nipples and cleaning the sharp edges on the hammer slot or JB Weld in the hammer slot will go a long way to keeping caps on the nipple so they fall free when the cylinder revolves.
Personally I do not use Hollywood as an instructor for shooting with six shot revolvers that never need
(on screen) reloading.
A cap rake/post/guard is insurance that, in my experience , almost makes a cap jam a remarkable occurrence
Ho;d Center
Bunk.
I do not mean to demean, or start a discussion, but if you are going to use modern methods to avoid a problem of yesteryear, just get a Konverter and shoot 38's.
A man did not know how to shoulder a Hawken correctly so he put the muzzleloader in a modern rifle stock, The online craze began.

I do not mean to demean, or start a discussion, but if you are going to use modern methods to avoid a problem of yesteryear, just get a Konverter and shoot 38's.
I have several conversion cylinder in .45 Colt.
And no, your comments are taken with a :) but understand that swallowing a cap frag can mean disassembling your Colt outside on a shooting range bench (been there, done that, never again!) if even allowed at your range, and possibly "scrubbing the mission" for the day. For that reason I always bring a spare revolver or two, but some folks only have one revolver. With range fees running as high as $30-40.00 per day that can be a huge let-down IMHO.
Plus, neither the cap rake or action shield are visible without cocking the revolver, and even then, just barely.

Last edited:
30 to 40 dollars a day? It's time to move. My range is about 100 yards from my house although it is only 100 yards long. If not there, the national forest is 1/2 mile away but you have to have a hunting license to shoot there. Not bragging, but trying to explain my shock that ranges are taking advantage of people like that. God Bless to you and enjoy your range time. But if and when you retire, move to Idaho.

Yes that is Mike Brackett Goons Gun Works. My experience is he is slow as molasses in January, but turns out a gun that is extremely reliable.
I have two pair done by him and they are as reliable as my sidearm that came along some 50+ years later that was designed by a gunsmith in Utah.
Is that OK Zonie?
respectfully
Bunk
Excuse the butt in please. There’s a person on the blackpowder forum at The High Road, @TheOutlawKid that’s does the same thing. I’ve two Colts done by him early this spring. Service was fast and price beyond reasonable.

30 to 40 dollars a day? It's time to move. My range is about 100 yards from my house although it is only 100 yards long. If not there, the national forest is 1/2 mile away but you have to have a hunting license to shoot there. Not bragging, but trying to explain my shock that ranges are taking advantage of people like that. God Bless to you and enjoy your range time. But if and when you retire, move to Idaho.
Yes ,sir. My black powder range fee is $30.00 per day, whether you shoot for 5 minutes or 5 hours. It's a super-nice range, however! When me and my boys/buddies go, it's an all day affair. We get our money's worth.
That being said, I'd love to move to Idaho!

Excuse the butt in please. There’s a person on the blackpowder forum at The High Road, @TheOutlawKid that’s does the same thing. I’ve two Colts done by him early this spring. Service was fast and price beyond reasonable.
Just a note on this...the O-Kid has moved to Alaska and is pretty busy getting settled in. He has a few guns to finish before he starts any new projects, from what he posted on THR. Just sayin'.

Just a note on this...the O-Kid has moved to Alaska and is pretty busy getting settled in. He has a few guns to finish before he starts any new projects, from what he posted on THR. Just sayin'.
Been following that. I’m sure he will be back in form soon. I’ve got a newly acquired pistol for him to “Texas Tune” or will that be “Alaska Tune” . I’ll wait until after the new year to email him.

I hope these cones are good! I just ordered a set for my top shelf Goonerized Uberti full fluted Army. Today I also bought 2 containers of RWS 1075s from my LGS for $9 each. I’m crazy like that.
I wasn’t having any trouble with the factory cones but I’m a sucker for buying any upgrade items that come along. I guess there are worse habits.

I have several conversion cylinder in .45 Colt.
And no, your comments are taken with a :) but understand that swallowing a cap frag can mean disassembling your Colt outside on a shooting range bench (been there, done that, never again!) if even allowed at your range, and possibly "scrubbing the mission" for the day. For that reason I always bring a spare revolver or two, but some folks only have one revolver. With range fees running as high as $30-40.00 per day that can be a huge let-down IMHO.
Plus, neither the cap rake or action shield are visible without cocking the revolver, and even then, just barely.
I don't remember ever making a range trip with only one firearm........
And there is always the truck gun in the vehicle and a supply of ammo just in case.

As for the original question - Installing the Slix nipples on my Pieta 1858 NMA completely cured it of cap jams. If I do the "point at the sky" when cocking method the spent cap will fall out whole every time.

Using #10 caps, I've never had a cap jam on factory nipples in my 51 navy (pietta). In fact, I have to deliberately pry them off with my finger tips after firing. Never understood this problem... are you using #11's?

As for the original question - Installing the Slix nipples on my Pieta 1858 NMA completely cured it of cap jams. If I do the "point at the sky" when cocking method the spent cap will fall out whole every time.

To my knowledge, cap jams have never been much of an issue with a Remington NMA as the thin hammer anvil and caged hammer slot tend not to pull the cap off when you cock the hammer, and if it does, it's generally blocked by the cage. Also, when cocked, if you look at the base of the NMA hammer there is very little room for a cap to get down in the guts.
In stark contrast, the Colts have an access area the size of a sewer pipe, no hammer cage, and a wide hammer anvil surface with slots and indents cut into them that tend to hold on to the fired cap and pull it off the nipple and...guess where it gets deposited? Yup. Just like Little Jessica, down the well. This is why, primarily, cap jams are a "Colt thing"

I would love to move to a mid continent northern state but the spouses family obligations will not allow that. That said my club 30 minutes away is $175 a year after the 1st year with a 100 yard outdoor rifle range. It will have to do.
But I sure would love to live in an area like you! I am in the commie commonwealth of ma.

I would love to move to a mid continent northern state but the spouses family obligations will not allow that. That said my club 30 minutes away is $175 a year after the 1st year with a 100 yard outdoor rifle range. It will have to do.
But I sure would love to live in an area like you! I am in the commie commonwealth of ma.
Well if you ever come to Idaho, bring your rifle and pm me.

ps. You should see what lobster costs out here.

Back