• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do Slixshot nipples lessen cap jams in Colt style C&B?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love the handling of my Colt 1851 (Pietta) and 1860 (Uberti) C&B but the cap jams can be annoying. I've seen Mike Beliveau's video on making Colt style repros more reliable and I'll do that. Just wondering if Slixshot nipples are really as effective as their reputation. Any experience with them? Better alternatives? Thanks.

Jeff

I’ve never tried those nipples so I can’t say how well they work. I have the factory nipples in all of my revolvers. I just make a habit of turning the gun sideways as I’m cocking it for the next shot. Caps just fall out of the side onto the ground. I’d rather they fall off that way than have to pry the fired ones off with a pocket knife. With the colt revolvers it’s the nature of the beast with cap fragments.

The Slix Shot nipples have a smaller vent hole so you get less blow back thus the cap isn’t damaged by the charge. Seems to help as does putting a dab of JB Weld in the notch in the hammer face. Then you don’t have to shoot getto style!:rolleyes:

What ELIMINATES cap jams on a Colt is an action shield and cap rake. I've had these installed on several of my revolvers by a well-renowned BP gunsmith and they are the cat's pajamas. Zero frag incidents on those guns since installation.

What ELIMINATES cap jams on a Colt is an action shield and cap rake. I've had these installed on several of my revolvers by a well-renowned BP gunsmith and they are the cat's pajamas. Zero frag incidents on those guns since installation.
Well that's a neat idea, just watched a video on cap rakes. I don't think I'm ready to venture to that point but it sure seems like a good fix.

Every gun in my rack except two have Slixshot nipples and cap rakes. Cap jams are rare. A pair of 1860 Army revolvers so outfitted have a total of right at 1000 rounds (I keep a barrel record) with out a cap jam even using CCI#11 and RWS 1075 caps. Occasionally a gun a jams when a cap sticks in a position that it hits the water table. Revolvers so equipped are about as reliable as a suppository gun.
That is my experience after many ,many rounds through several different Uberti and Pietta guns.
Respectfully
Bunk

Yes that is Mike Brackett Goons Gun Works. My experience is he is slow as molasses in January, but turns out a gun that is extremely reliable.
I have two pair done by him and they are as reliable as my sidearm that came along some 50+ years later that was designed by a gunsmith in Utah.
Is that OK Zonie?
respectfully
Bunk

Thanks for the info, folks. I'll give the SlixShot nipples a try and look into the cap rake. Fortunately, my ROAs and Rogers and Spencer don't have the jamming problem. And it will give me something to do sitting down, besides reading, while recovering from surgery. (Minor but necessary.)

Jeff

who is your "well-renowned" BP gunsmith?
Not to be a "name-dropper", but yes...as the others said, it was Mike Brackett at Goon's Gun Works. What totally makes the difference is the action shield, which is fairly new. I have several Goon guns and am preparing to send him another shortly.
I don't consider Mike to be "slow", but rather, painstakingly thorough and well worth the wait. Don't expect to have your gun back in a week. Rome wasn't built in a day.

What is a cap rake? I have never heard that term before. Pic if possible.
Cap rake visible in hammer slot (behind nipple)
Action shield is the brass strip at the base of the hammer
50522925682_0f107abcb2_k.jpg

Latest posts

Back