• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do I Need to reharden a striker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bldtrailer

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I traded flint/chert for a striker(animal shaped) but no matter how hard I try I can't get it to spark (files on my chert look like fire works)
Sooo should I attemp to reharden the steel and/or file the edge and try again ?

It could also be to hard. See if a file will cut it and how much. Cuts easily to soft doesn't cut all all to hard
File hard on fire strikers works best. Frizzens need a slight temper. You can temper a striker at 300°F if you wish, just to relieve a little stress, but it may be considered optional. Very doubtful that you will over harden a striker.

i make up fire starter kits to sell at gun shows and while most of the strikers i buy spark fairly well occasionally i get a dud so i just routinely re-harden all my strikers by heating red hot in my forge and quenching in water. i also make sure my flint has a sharp edge.

Before you make an attempt to re-harden it, grind or sand the striking face--not a lot, wipe the face with a marking pen and grind or sand off all the ink from the marker. Sometimes in hardening, the surface will get de-carburized and won't spark. Dressing it down a few thousandths of an inch will often get you to metal that will spark. If not, you can always re-harden it.

Back