• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I NEED a Fowler or Fusil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt squirrel...

So tell me, should I pony up, or not? I'm losing hair over this and fast.

I hunt squirrel A LOT too..., and I switched over to a trade gun because where I am even a small .390 or .350 even a .310 ball can travel from the area where it's OK to hunt, into a neighborhood where it might come back down.... supposing that I was shooting at a squirrel on a branch without a tree directly behind. Shooting shot...., no worries.

And NO Worries IF I go for ....., turkey, rabbit, dove, partridge, pheasant, quail, woodcock, or using bismuth on ducks (especially wood ducks)

LD

I hunt squirrel... not really a bird hunter although I won't turn down a dove hunt, hunt deer but mostly with rifles such as unmentionables and flinters, and I know next to nothing about shooting clays and have never really done it. With all things being considered, how ever, I keep thinking I need a smoothbore fowler or a Fusil. I like the versatility, and there is nothing in the rule book that says I can't hunt deer or pigs with a big ol' roundball and get up close and personal. Just unlike my rifled flinters, I can't see it getting shot much as it would probably be a hunting gun only.

Go for it. Flintlock of course. I have three: a 20 gauge 1640ish fowler, a 10 gauge 48" barrel 1740s fowler and a 1820ish 24 gauge Northwest trade fusil. They all have their uses. And I'll be ordering a fowler kit from Jim Kibler as soon as they're available. Here in New England smoothbores are really all you need.

Now wait just a minute @Travis186 I'm here to shed some light. Your post implies addiction and that you admit it. That means you are already 50% of the way towards a cure. Sounds to me like you're doing just fine.
I figure it's like waiving drugs in front of a recovering addicts face, he will relapse. It's the same thing with me and whataburger, me and flintlocks, me and motorcycles.... the list goes on and on and on. I swear I'm going to stop but then it gets waaaiiivvvvveeddd in my face again like it's no big deal.

Hi, my name is Travis and I'm addicted to black powder.

Well…. A big smooth bore will eat a lot of powder up fast. I’m trending more to a small caliber rifle with a peep sight..

I'm posting this simply as an opinion - an old guys opinion, not an expert nor a really smart person. My M/L interest since about age 12 started with a single-barrel percussion shotgun Dad bought somewhere. Iron furniture, back action lock, English proofed oct to round barrel, copper sleeve tacked around forearm/barrel with a v-notch sight bent up from the back of the sleeve. Cotton string helped hold the under rib in place with a home-made ramrod. Stock was obviously some old-timer's idea of what it should look like. I've heard this type of single-barrel shotgun called "corn stalk guns" .

Compared to M/L rifles, survival rate is apparently not as good, nor, compared to original double barrels do we see as many in decent shape. My opinion is that they were quite common just like single-barrel shotguns are today among farmers and frontier folks but unlike rifles, most were simply used 'til they fell apart as the everyday, go-to, behind the kitchen door, tool they were. Don't know.

I do know they're a heck of a lot of fun to fool with and getting harder to find.

I hunt squirrel... not really a bird hunter although I won't turn down a dove hunt, hunt deer but mostly with rifles such as unmentionables and flinters, and I know next to nothing about shooting clays and have never really done it. With all things being considered, how ever, I keep thinking I need a smoothbore fowler or a Fusil. I like the versatility, and there is nothing in the rule book that says I can't hunt deer or pigs with a big ol' roundball and get up close and personal. Just unlike my rifled flinters, I can't see it getting shot much as it would probably be a hunting gun only.

The only correct answer is yes, you need one of each!

We could not speak English any more if we did not make errors
‘I’ll be with you shortly
Hopefully things will be all right
How are you doing- I’m good or your doing good’

Attachments

• 7E640C72-9C7E-48E3-BBB2-72E4989E2BE8.png
    7E640C72-9C7E-48E3-BBB2-72E4989E2BE8.png
    328.1 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back