• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I NEED a Fowler or Fusil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis186

Full of mostly useless esoteric knowledge
Reaction score
I hunt squirrel... not really a bird hunter although I won't turn down a dove hunt, hunt deer but mostly with rifles such as unmentionables and flinters, and I know next to nothing about shooting clays and have never really done it. With all things being considered, how ever, I keep thinking I need a smoothbore fowler or a Fusil. I like the versatility, and there is nothing in the rule book that says I can't hunt deer or pigs with a big ol' roundball and get up close and personal. Just unlike my rifled flinters, I can't see it getting shot much as it would probably be a hunting gun only.

So tell me, should I pony up, or not? I'm losing hair over this and fast.

Yes...
Ok, a bit more of a response may be in order. First, they're cool. Second, they're fun. Third, they're versatile. Fourth they're cool. Did I mention that they're cool?
Working up varied loads for deer, turkey or squirrels can occupy your time in a good way. They are a real "one gun option" even when you have multiple weapons.

My goal is/was a flintlock 20 ga Fowler, the one gun thing in a New England hunting gun is perfect for my needs.
Shot for turkeys and ball for deer, close range is the rule around here, can’t see more than 40-50 yards most of the time.

Sorta/kinda depends. Tho' I have an assortment of percussion shotguns, I bought a 44" barrel flint fowler some years ago, shot a few squirrels, attempted clay pigeons, and thought it'd be swell to take it duck hunting.

Couldn't win the morning draw for a blind, so it was "wade and shoot". My spot was about 75 yards from shore, water above knees, muddy bottom. I loaded up the fowler, a sack of decoys, and sloshed out in the dark. Ducks did not want to land in my little spread. I took a shot at a passer-by, and missed. That's when reality hit me.

There's no way I can reload the long-barrelled gun standing in water between my knees and waist. I tried a sort of "horizontal" technique..nope. Darn near floated my hat wading back to shore. Later that year, I did kill one duck from a blind with it.

So ...shorter barrel maybe. Didn't do that again.

A smoothbore gives you shots at squirrels and grouse that otherwise might not be possible with a rifle. I only take shots where I know my rifle ball will be stopped by the tree or another big tree behind it if taking them out of the trees with my rifle. It also opens up the possability of hunting turkey which in almost every state is illegal with a rifle. AND, a smoothbore will keep you hunting well after your eyes get to bad to make clean head shots on small game with a rifle.

Smoothies are ml for experienced ml shooters.
Everything that brought you to ml is magnified with a smoothie.
Like a ml shrinks your range compared to a modern gun a smoothie shrinks it again
Like tge experience of trying to get the best out of a ml now you have more limitations. And all the fun you had stepping ‘down’ to ml you get to repeat with a smoothie.
After a while them rifle guns become less interesting

I guess I should say, in regards to turkey, I hunt public land and the bit of public land I hunt has no turkey. I'm considering getting back on a lease out west though, eventually. I'm young, my eyes aren't bad with correction. I squirrel hunt with a 40cal flinter for now, and my strategy is usually to somewhat bark em. Them squaks is hard to hit even with a scatter gun when they're at the top of a long leaf pine.

I'll be honest, I might just be looking for justification for a decision I have already made in my mind. 😆

There's no way I can reload the long-barrelled gun standing in water between my knees and waist. I tried a sort of "horizontal" technique..nope. Darn near floated my hat wading back to shore. Later that year, I did kill one duck from a blind with it.

Sheriff John, next time dont forget your stepladder!

@Travis186, As to whether you need a fowler or a fusil, one must consider that life can be made too complicated by trying to make decisions based only on need. As long as there is a grocery store available you don't need a fowler or fusil. But wouldn't you enjoy your life more if you had one?

A fowling gun whether it is called a fowler or a fusil is all in the name. You want the smoothbored fowling gun that fits you best and handles easily. Although fusil has a sort of military context to the firearm, there is great crossover in the terms. Get the smoothbored firearm that is intended first as a fowling gun. The flexibility inherent in its application will allow it to be used for fowl or fur.

Last edited:
A simple explanation is timing. Fowlers were earlier than the specifically designed shotgun. Fowlers were the "shotgun" of their day. That term, fowler, seems to have been in use long before shotgun. Additionally, it seems fowler or fusil de chasse were not thought of as "shot only" guns. Early shotguns, created with the intent of managing a pattern of shot, were not necessarily intended to be as versatile as previous fowlers. That is my take. Smarter folks will come along, post primary sources that I don't have as I'm stacking firewood, and will satisfy your curiosity.

Back