• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do i need a custom flintlock rifle??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How'd you know I've already been dipping into the old "Special Sheep Linament" as the sun set on this balmy Monday?
Shhhh…I was at dinner, having a couple adult beverages, with long time friends…we were going over investments, futures, commodities and one of the guys said that to me. I had to post it…

Last edited:
Well stated, Solanco, and true. I love Emig's stuff, but don't own any. Guess he'll be at the Gunmaker's Fair this weekend.
Compared to some other builders, Emig was very reasonably priced. And his quality is superb. Off on a tangent, have member Tallpine make you a knife. I have several and each is a work of art.

I am 75. Something I learned decades ago is that a cheap/poor tool takes the pleasure out of what you are doing. That has proven true with tools, cookware, computers, cars, trucks, and, yes, guns. None of us wants to spend foolishly. Neither by spending too much nor by buying something inferior.

I don't know how much you know about flintlocks but stress that you should learn all you can before you buy. If there are muzzle loading shops near you? Haunt them. Ask questions there and at ranges. Dad said you have two ears and one mouth. Listen more than you talk. Check this site for events you could attend.

With the exception of a once in life splurge on an Emig custom built flintlock, I have not purchased a new gun in decades. Fortified with knowledge you can buy a used flintlock which will save you money and provide years of pleasure.

And I endorse what the Crisco Kid said above. If you are at all handy a Kibler kit can not be beat.
Very well said!
Irish

Compared to some other builders, Emig was very reasonably priced. And his quality is superb. Off on a tangent, have member Tallpine make you a knife. I have several and each is a work of art.
I have one by Emig, my 62 smoothbore, stock built from a blank by him etc. Bottom one in the pic.

Attachments

• flintlocks.jpg
    flintlocks.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 0
When I finally save up enough for a “quality” lock, barrel, trigger, stock flint lock I deciding between Kibler vs Chambers kit. There is a flintlock builder close by and I asked him which kit he would like to work with. He smiled and pulled a “quality” rifle off a rack stating it is for sale for little more than the Kibler kit cost. I bought it.
The rifle is used, he built it 15yrs ago for a shooter no longer with us.
Shoots great! Nice custom work.
Great lock & barrel on fine curly maple stock.

My point…..
Good to shoots. Talk to flintlock shooters. Do some research. There is a deal out there waiting for you.

Over the years I have bought a number of guns. I have only sold one. It is impossible to know where you interest will eventually end up. I do regret not buying three guns when I had the chance. One a copy of an early Dickert, another was a Centermark Fusil, and the third a Larry Williams gun. Until you have some idea of which direction you want to go, it is not possible to choose the one-and-only flintlock you will ever want. I like all of mine. And I shoot most of them on a regular basis. So, look at all the guns you can, read Shumway's books, attend gun fairs, and join a shooting club. Talk with some gun builders if you can. I can't tell you how much Mike Miller has helped me.

Not big money, make it yourself, I did. Its not too hard, folks with no running water made them long ago.
The last production gun I owned was in the 90's. It was called "Ye Ole Fence Post" Fore I told it many times Thats where it would end up.
When brand new, we got 8 shots before it was broke and waited al most a year for a part to be made.
No thanks, We prefer a no frustration shooting days.

I messed up my Chamber's Lock, sent it back to Jim, a week later it was back and working.
No lead rock holders for me any more.

Those that buy production guns are buying a pig in a poke. Some are good, some are not.
I was given one that was not. Broken from the factory.

So as Clint would say " Do ya feel lucky? We do ya?"

I had one of the Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifles. As advised I bought it in Percussion, that way it was easy to convert to Flintlock. Flintlocks are a learning curve, they can be frustrating, but when all comes together they are great fun. I think a lot of us who shoot flintlocks are older, having shoot percussion for years, now we want a challenge. $800-1200 is a fair price range

A custom flintlock with a well tuned lock and balanced stock and barrel is a joy far far beyond anything a mass produced factory gun can accomplish. Sure you can shoot a deer with either. But the trials and tribulations of misfires, etc will be much worse with a production gun. Even worse if the lock and barrel alignment on a factory gun is off, as they tend to be. I read a long time ago, by, IIRC, Sam Fadala, there isn't much reliability and speed difference between a mass produced percussion gun and a custom percussion gun. But the difference between a mass produced flintlock gun and a custom tuned flintlock gun are 10 times more extreme. Not only for ignition speed and reliability, but how long flints last, whether the springs provide the right tension, whether the arc of the flint travel is appropriate to the frizzen face. Thompson Center's early flintlocks were made of case hardened steel frizzens instead of proper carbon steel. The flints tended to bash into the frizzens instead of following a proper arc downward to maximize sparks with out the hard strike to knock the frizzen open. Other mass produced companies have similar problems. The accusporter, if it is still made, is a hybrid, sort of half custom, modern hunting flintlock, with prime custom parts put into a modern looking hunting gun. Definitely not traditional.

I am of a somewhat different opinion. Get the one you dream about, the one in your fantasies. Even if you can't afford it, sell something, take out a bank loan, but get the cash to go first class. Based on what you are considering, I would guess you want a longrifle, one that is gorgeous with the maximum built in quality. Have it built with the best components and the prettiest wood. Research the devil out of that period you want to emulate. Don't get that short one; you won't be satisfied with a rifle that doesn't fit your physical self or your idea of exactly what you want. Worst case scenario is that a custom gun will always be something with inherent value.
Disregard this advice entirely if you are unsure the real
muzzle loading life is not for you. It certainly is not for most shooters/hunters. It is difficult, messy, restrictive and unforgiving.

My .40 is for small deer and smaller critters. Coyote, squirrel, or lets just say anything smaller than deer.
I'm not an advocate of the .40 for deer. It's energy just runs out of legs very quickly. IMHO, 25 yards on a small Bambi, at most. The .45 is great for deer of any size out to about 100 yards. I know from experience as to do many others. And, for target shooting, the .40 get blowed around easily, the .45 is more resistant to breezes.

Yes the little More you spend
Being cheap will make you sad
The kibler idea is good
And id only add lock lock lock lock
Lock! A fast good lock makes the difference!
And the tater chip thing
Nobody eats just 1🤪

i would encourage you to look to Mr. Kibler ... i am just finishing up a SMR (Southern Mountain Rifle) in 40 caliber. with a modest investment in hand tools (some of which you hay have already) this will be a rifle you treasure forever.
one guy's opinion ... free and doubtless well worth the cost...

How about this thought.
These rifles everyone bet their lives on a rifle.

There is not a production gun that I would bet my life on.

My Chamber's lock has never failed to fire, not once.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet my rifle is that dependable.

and I made the dang thing myself.

I'm not an advocate of the .40 for deer. It's energy just runs out of legs very quickly. IMHO, 25 yards on a small Bambi, at most. The .45 is great for deer of any size out to about 100 yards. I know from experience as to do many others. And, for target shooting, the .40 get blowed around easily, the .45 is more resistant to breezes.
The blessing of being a deep south fella is that our breezes are predictable and rarely able to push through the cover of the scrub. I don't particularly use a .40 for deer as I have a .45, a .50, a .54, and a .60. But, if I found myself on Cumberland or Sapelo with a .40, I'd bet only a hurricane would run up enough wind to stop that PRB. Well... unless the hot air expelled with every word I spoke threw it off! Always a distinct possibility in the land of tales taller than a Long Leaf!

Back