• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

do i lube real bullets or shoot them dry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10_point

50 cal
Reaction score
as the heading says, do i have to lube the real bullet or not. i casted some and want to try them in my hoyt rebore 54 caliber hawkens

Bubba50 is correct. A must lube projectile. Common lubes for muzzleloading are fine. Crisco, bear grease, deer tallow (rendered of course), chapstick, bore butter, etc. Just use your finger to apply.

Walk

as the heading says, do i have to lube the real bullet or not. i casted some and want to try them in my hoyt rebore 54 caliber hawkens
Yep. And many have their own secret lube. You may also want to consider experimenting with wads between the powder charge and the projectile. What did Mr. Hoyt suggest after you told him what your looking to shoot out of your rebored barrel?

Guess you didn’t ask. I have always told him what I planned to do with the barrel and he was very forthcoming with suggestions, making specific recommendations about the rifling he thought would work best for me. He is a very knowledgeable craftsman.
He specifically asked me, and as I was planning on shooting a .680 ball, he proceeded accordingly. It's a perfect fit.

Lube. Use a natural based one. You can dip lube or just apply with fingers before loading.

Yep. And many have their own secret lube. You may also want to consider experimenting with wads between the powder charge and the projectile. What did Mr. Hoyt suggest after you told him what your looking to shoot out of your rebored barrel?
I have heard they shoot better with a wad. I've tried both myself, what's the theory on it? I'd have to really do a strict experiment, 10 of with/without. So far I'd say advantage to cardboard wad. Very accurate bullet for 1858 Enfield. Lubed. 1% tin casting shoots better.

Back