• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I hafta build more locks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
What do I hafta do to get something to read on this forum? I know I haven't built any new locks since last year, but someone has something to say.
Just to let you know, I am back in the USA for about three weeks. We are in Houston for a couple of days then heading for PA. Then back to Mex.
volatpluvia

I have a ton of ideas I just need to get back to the states to start building. Only 86 more days :grin:

Andy

Volatpluvia:

What do I hafta do to get something to read on this forum? I know I haven't built any new locks since last year, but someone has something to say.

Nothing to say on my end except that I've been moving my B.P. website to a new location because Geocities will be shutting down later in the year.

That and I've been making plenty of slowmatch this month. The weather hasn't exactly been good for my preferred arms these past few weekends. :(

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

I told myself that I'd finish my flintlock project before I started another gonne. I now have the checkering tools I need to finish my current project and am practicing, so I may be able to finish up by, oh let's say October. I have no money to buy parts now anyway, so I guess it'll have to wait before I start another project.

I have been pretty busy building different stuff
but seem to have lost my favorite poster and now
can't show pictures...Too bad, Working on a murder
lock now that has taken me three weeks just to
make the top screw....Not to worry..it's all just
"scrap iron" anyway........

Okay, well that kind of says it all. I won't be home long enough to finish the gonne that I have laying in storage. It has the barrel in wood. But I have no lock and no furniture for it. And the time will go fast enough. Thanks for the replies. May you all get to build some more so you can entertain me down in old Mex.
volatpluvia aka. Hombre del Bosque

Do Mexican laws totally forbid working on guns? I would think you would still be able to get away with building a lock mechanisim as long as you didn't go as far as assembling it into a working gun. Just a thought. Carving another wheelie out of a chunk of scrap steel might be a good way to pass the time.

I've been looking over some of the older posts and during the last couple days have started building some parts for a wheellock (though I'm cheating by using a CNC mill for some parts). Should be an interesting project and I'll start posting some pictures of my progress as soon as I get a chance, probably have some questions as I get further along.

Al,
I am sure that I would be able to build locks if I wanted to, as long as I did not assemble a gonne. But it would interfere with all the other stuff I am doing. And I don't have my tools here. And I would have no place to set up. So I won't be building any locks.
I admit, I was just trying to get a thread started. I like to read what you guys are doing, even if it is just the plans you are thinking about.
volatpluvia

You could teach some local craftsmen and have them start producing and selling locks for export.

I think there is a market for wheellock locks in the US.

Foster From Flint

And then we would have to listen to the "Buy American", "The alloy used is substandard", "Craftsmanship or the lack thereof", and the "Gonna blow up in your face" debate about every two or three weeks. :haha:

Some of the craftsmanship and craftsmen I have seen, they could do it if convinced that they could make a gringo buck. Some would do hi quality. But you would still have the debate, hee, hee.
volatpluvia

Back