• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do any shops charge actual shipping anymore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBeardNC

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of shops online charge ridiculous shipping rates? To me, it puts me off as a potential customer. I've loaded an online cart plenty of times, only to leave it when the shipping charge is unreasonable. I understand packaging materials and shipping has gone up in the past year, but charging $12 to deliver 6 nipples seems a bit exorbitant. Maybe I'm just getting grumpy though.

Last edited:
I agree that some places are ridiculous. I like to buy stuff from Muzzle-Loaders.com. They ship for free. I recently ordered 2 items from a online retailer that I couldn't find anywhere else. I got kinda screwed paying $ 25.00 for shipping.

I'll
I agree that some places are ridiculous. I like to buy stuff from Muzzle-Loaders.com. They ship for free. I recently ordered 2 items from a online retailer that I couldn't find anywhere else. I got kinda screwed paying $ 25.00 for shipping.

I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

Generally it seems it’s related to the cart price. Recently I’ve bought from several that had free shipping on my purchase but if I was below the threshold paid a fee. I think $50 was the cut off
Maybe you needed three nipples and a box of caps😊

a business gets screwed with higher taxes and fees these days. I guess they need every nickel. If they go under, what will you do then. I don't like the taste of that bitter pill but I understand!
Nit Wit

This is one of the reasons my BP has always come from Graf and Sons. Shipping is a fixed $9.95 and hazmat is a paltry (compared to many other places) $12.50, whether 5 lbs or 25 lbs.

Ever since the retailers began using the prepaid shipping boxes , over paying for sending an order goes along with it. All the different sizes are on display at my local post orifice. Books ship fairly cheaper , but all else , too much.

JBeardNC:
I agree with you. I've done the same thing many times. Loaded a cart; then when I checked out, the s&h charges were so ridiculous, that I just left it. The downside to that is, then I get bombarded with emails telling me that I left items in my cart?

I'm a vendor so I'm a little familiar with shipping charges, but I'm NOT gouging folks on shipping. I use mostly Flat rate priority boxes, so I already know what the charge will be. I do add enough just to cover the insurance. I know I can't charge for my boxing time and materials even though they cost me. NOT the boxes, those are free, but the bubble wrap and tape, I just absorb the costs. I'm not trying to make a living or get rich, so the s&h charges are secondary. All in all, I agree. Where do these companies get off charging Big $ to ship Small items. They're just gouging the customer, kinda' like the gasoline companies right now.
My minimum charge for shipping is $4.80. That's a padded bubble envelope with barely anything inside.
Happy Easter.
God bless:
Two Feathers

No offence Two Feathers. We all have to be smarter , and order enough to fill a given size shipping container , so we get the bang for the buck spent. That's just how it is these days . I congratulate you on your efforts to keep you're shipping prices under control as you can......oldwood

oldwood:
No offense taken. I wasn't trying to belittle anyone's intelligence. I was just making a statement and voicing my opinion on JBeardNC's comment/post. Myself, I have NO IDEA what size shipping container a company will use when I order something?
I'm not looking to start a range war on this subject. ;) :ThankYou:
My apologies if I upset you.
Have a Blessed Easter Sunday my friend.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Owned a traditional archery supply,charged actual shipping.Ate the cost of tape etc but did deduct it come tax time.The only thing that bothered me was paying CC fees on shipping price .But got a bunch of thank yous for not raping people on shipping and feel like I kept a lot of customers by doing it.

Owned a traditional archery supply,charged actual shipping.Ate the cost of tape etc but did deduct it come tax time.The only thing that bothered me was paying CC fees on shipping price .But got a bunch of thank yous for not raping people on shipping and feel like I kept a lot of customers by doing it.
That sounds like a plan. Good for you.
It's always nice when a seller/company tries to help it's customers.
Happy Easter.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Two Feathers, that sounds totally fair, its nice of you to cover those. It seems like you always get the best service when dealing with the craftsman personally. I've read a lot of good reviews of your wares on here. Honestly if I had to do a lot of shipping myself, I'd probably have to add materials into the cost, but I'm a newish Dad and have to budget my hobbies pretty shrewdly. Another thing I noticed on a recent purchase with a fairly well known company, was they charged for FedEx delivery and sent by USPS. I won't mention them, because it could've been a mistake, and not really that much of a deal, but it does makes me consider other retailers now that I need to make another purchase.

Back