do any of you hunt with your black powder cap-and-ball revolvers?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Jay Templin

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In Texas, a percussion revolver is not a "muzzleloader" and cannot be used in "Muzzleloader" seasons for hunting. I guess in regular season anything goes.
Same here in Virginia. You can use a modern plastic rifle with piezoelectric ignition firing smokeless powder in muzzleloading season if it stuffs from the front, and the General Assembly just approved guns that load propellant sticks from the breech, but Heaven help you if the warden sees you using a cap and ball revolver in muzzleloading season... 🙄
Jay

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one of the Pedersoli Bounty Hunters and was totally frustrated with it. The trigger was set up at the wrong angle where it contacted the sear, and the trigger pull was probably at least 10 lbs !! I have a friend that is a great muzzleloader builder and he played with it some and actually got the trigger down to about 5 lbs......but could only do that with an extremely long creep before the hammer dropped. I played with it some and got so frustrated that I ended up just giving it away to a friend of mine.
Thanks for the "heads up" :thumb:

LD

PastorB

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I've killed many deer with my cap and ball revolvers. I use a brisk charge of powder (enough to get 1000+ fps in my .44's) and limit my shots to can't miss range inside of 20 yards or so. Kills them dead. A hunk of lead, be it a round ball or conical, going through vital organs does the job, not foot/lbs. of energy.

Macon Due

45 Cal.
Reaction score
In my younger years in the 1960s I hunted rabbits in west Texas with a brass frame Navy replica. Running rabbits often required the full cylinder to nail one, but if I caught one sitting it would only take one shot. Completely wore out that Navy revolver after which all my guns were steel frame. Here I was practicing with my then-new steel frame 1860 Army after getting rid of the worn out brass frame gun.View attachment 69775
Yep, my Dad use to carry a replica 51 Navy in each back pocket of his overalls when squirrel hunting. Saw him put 2 balls into a squirrel leaping from one branch to another one day.

Pa-brushbuster71

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I love the idea of .44 cap and ball for backup while woods walking or hunting. It’s currently impossible to find one in stock!

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I carried my 1860 one year for grouse while elk hunting. Problem is accuracy. A hit but poorly placed is hard on the camp cooking. So it's counter intuitive, but head shots are easy with the 54. 😄

nightwolf1974

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I used to take my ROA with me deer hunting. Wasn't legal during ML season, but carried on my pistol permit. Then during non-ML season it was 100% legal to hunt with, kept for a added kill shot if needed.

Reaction score
Years ago I read a story in one of the muzzleloading books about a guy that used his cap&ball revolver to hunt muskrats...sounded fun to me at the time, though I have never done it.

I have taken rabbits with my .36 calibre Navy revolver.