• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY ramrod thinning/tapering/sanding 'lathe'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The ramrod provided with my Kibler Colonial rifle kit was oversized. Now I have one of the tapering tools you pull it through, where I've made French-type ramrods of a bulbous 1/2" to 5/8" on one end for 4-5" (pouce), sweeping down to a nominal 3/8" rod, and tapering to 5/16"at the entry. But in this case, a fast sanding would do it.

Since I already had the compression clamp and cordless drill already handy, here's the jig I setup outside on the deck railing in but minutes.

DFA23006-CA65-4E4B-B895-EBC8CB50B09A.jpeg

The large clamp holds the drill and the smaller one clamps the trigger ... just be sure to turn the work into you. If needed, a small ramrod tip or a headless machine bolt can be held in the chuck.

17152C79-6AB8-4BA7-A155-1A747343987E.jpeg

Hmmmmmm, how to hold the other end so it doesn't whip around on a 48" length rod? A quick look in the tool shed found a plastic rake with a tapered socket - PERFECT! The dog's squishy ball just held the rake piece in place, as supported by the weight of the available planter.

3B20F2C4-D8D3-4458-A095-14213BAD87F2.jpeg

Does it get any simpler? Done in minutes ... ! Gotta LOVE ol' Rube Goldberg!

The ramrod provided with my Kibler Colonial rifle kit was oversized. Now I have one of the tapering tools you pull it through, where I've made French-type ramrods of a bulbous 1/2" to 5/8" on one end for 4-5" (pouce), sweeping down to a nominal 3/8" rod, and tapering to 5/16"at the entry. But in this case, a fast sanding would do it.

Since I already had the compression clamp and cordless drill already handy, here's the jig I setup outside on the deck railing in but minutes.

View attachment 147278

The large clamp holds the drill and the smaller one clamps the trigger ... just be sure to turn the work into you. If needed, a small ramrod tip or a headless machine bolt can be held in the chuck.

View attachment 147279

Hmmmmmm, how to hold the other end so it doesn't whip around on a 48" length rod? A quick look in the tool shed found a plastic rake with a tapered socket - PERFECT! The dog's squishy ball just held the rake piece in place, as supported by the weight of the available planter.

View attachment 147280

Does it get any simpler? Done in minutes ... ! Gotta LOVE ol' Rube Goldberg!
Great improvisation.

Would like to see your "pull through" set up for making fowler rods with bulbous ends, if you don't mind.

For years , just been holding the r/r in the chuck of an electric drill , and running the drill motor w/one hand , and holding coarse sand paper in the other. Turn on the drill motor , with your thumb. Sweep the sand paper along the r/r , and keep a r/r thimble on hand to check the diameter. as you reduce the rod. It goes quickly , so check frequently. When the correct size is reached , simply cut the end off , where the chuck bit into the new rod, install the rod tip. Have made hundreds like this , quick and easy ..........oldwood

Latest posts

Back