• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

DIY pig hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you come to south GA you can hunt hogs on any WMA. Can’t do it during turkey season in my area and you can only use rimfire weapons. Other than anytime between Mar-Sep is fair game. It’s also legal to take hogs during deer season.

If you come to south GA you can hunt hogs on any WMA. Can’t do it during turkey season in my area and you can only use rimfire weapons. Other than anytime between Mar-Sep is fair game. It’s also legal to take hogs during deer season.
I can't think of a rimfire firearm that I would use on a pig.
It might work if I was slaughtering hogs and shooting them in the head at point blank range but not for any real hunting situations I can think of.

Before this degenerates down to a discussion about cartridge guns, lets keep the subject aimed at muzzleloaders.

Nope. .22 and .17 rim fire just aint got the whomp IMHO. If I was after a real hog (not a javalina) I would stick to .50 min and myself would be found toting a .54. Some pics here on the forum have convinced me I want no part of an angry wounded Porky Pigg!

Ok. Just so we’re clear I’m not recommending anything, just quoting DNR regulations for public land hunting. If deer is not in season on public land in GA you can only use what is deemed “small game weapons”. Wow. I’ve been hog hunting in GA for 40yrs and used a knife, plenty of small unmentionables, and even Colt Navy’s. The topic was hog hunting not a winged Pegasus

Georgia DNR website:

WMAs and National Forest Lands
Limit: No limit.

Hogs may be taken with primitive weapons during primitive weapons deer season, archery equipment during archery deer season, with deer weapons during firearms deer season, with turkey weapons during turkey season and with small game weapons during small game season. No night hunting. No hunting over bait. Hunting license requirements must be met. Hunter orange is required during firearms and primitive weapons deer and bear hunts. See Dog Training for dog training seasons and rules.

Does the Regulation say No Closed Season?

If not it would seem as if “small game weapons during small game season “ would apply as well as other weapons during their appropriate seasons...

IDK, just asking?

80798781-1D6A-44FB-9281-8FC0D4D65DAF.png

The way the wardens here(and I’m speaking from my region and experience only) interpret that is that if NOTHING is in season than the small unmentionables must be used. Not trying to ruffle feathers and I stand quited gentlemen. They’ve made a pile of changes here. Any ML .30cal and above is legal for deer now as well as any air gun above .35. We can use dogs on the six WMAs near me but I see that’s not the case with all of them. The OP may want to look into hunting Fort Stewart as well

It is obvious to me that the laws quoted above are meant to prevent a hunter from carrying a gun that would not be legal for taking whatever was in season at the time. Laws like this make it easy for the Game and Fish officers to enforce. Carrying a high powered rifle during squirrel season? Zap. He's got you. Carrying a small bore gun like the ones poachers like to use to kill deer? Zap. Your got again.

Although it makes it easy for the Officers, it ends up making something like hunting hogs difficult for the hunter. For instance, a muzzleloading .32 caliber gun that is totally suitable for hunting squirrels and rabbits is, in my opinion, way too underpowered to kill a 200 pound pig reliably or humanly.

Thanks for the info, I have no “dawg” in the race...
Just thought it seemed odd from what I read in Henry Miles post..

Oklahoma has a large population of pigs. Plenty of state land.

Yep, Oklahoma has numerous WMAs. However, hog hunting in OK WMAs is a problematic thing. The key words are; " Hogs may be taken on Department-managed lands during any established hunting season with methods authorized by the Department for that hunting season". Example: Shotguns and slugs, centerfire rifles and muzzle loading rifles are not considered appropriate for small game hunting. Some folks use .22 LR and 22 WMR on hogs in WMAs. Know one guy who has killed a lot of hogs with a .17 rimfire.

Hog hunting is closed year-round at Hackberry Flat WMA/WRP, Kaw WMA, Sandy Sanders WMA and Waurika WMA. Hogs may be taken on Department-managed lands during any established hunting season with methods authorized by the Department for that hunting season, except that during any open deer and/or turkey season, only appropriate methods, hunting hours and legal equipment for that deer and/or turkey season are authorized for taking or pursuing feral hogs. No feral hogs may be removed alive from a WMA.

Feral Hog FAQ | Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (wildlifedepartment.com)

Last edited:
Guys, look at your regulations! ALL muzzleloaders are designated as legal small game weapons in Georgia-- including WMAs!

Yep. From the GA website.

Small Game & Furbearer

• Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17 caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.
  • Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or smaller shot.
  • Shotguns (Waterfowl): Any 10-gauge or smaller loaded with federally approved nontoxic shot of size “F” or smaller. Lead shot may not be in possession while hunting waterfowl.

Back