• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie mould

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitetrash078

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't know if this post goes here but... any of you have experience with these things? They look like a pair of scissors with a half mold on either side and are avilable up to like a 82 cal round ball. For 34.00 instead of Lymans 60.00 .735 mould. It sounds like a good deal, oh it has no sprue cutter is this a problem or I can just use side cutters or something like it to get rid of the sprue?

It is for a brown bess so maybe it does go here ::

I just got one about a week ago. It seem to be well make. Mine is in .650 calber. It takes a while to heat up but then it casts well, there is a lot of metal to heat. I am happy with it . It is a bargin for the $34.00. Jim

I have one of DGW .600 scissor molds, and if anyone needs it the price is $25.00 and I pay ship'n.

Only reason it's fer sale, is 'cause I have anuther .600 mold, and don't need 2 of'em!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back in the days when Turner Kirkland was a traveling salesman and was trading muzzleloaders out of the trunk of his car he came upon the idea of using hair straightening irons for bullet moulds. He rounded off the corners a bit and then cherried them for whatever caliber was needed. They were one of the foundations of the business he developed into Dixie Gun Works. The irons were a popular item with folks who didn't care for their curly hair. Turner provided a needed product where very few existed in the late 50's and early 60's.
Yep, sidecutters will work just fine to cut the sprues off, or leave them on and wreak havoc when they hit and a horrendous noise as they pass through the air.....

I have used several of the Dixie molds,and have had good luck with them,however if you want a very accurate mold,and don't want to put out the expense of a Lyman, Jeff Tanner makes one fine set of blocks that will work with Lyman or Lee handles. I got one of his in .535 and it cast a better ball that any of the other (Lyman,Lee,Dixie,and others) that I have. http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

Back