• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Gun Works Poor Boy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thlayli

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just bought one of these off Gunbroker, .50 caliber. Miroku barrel, think its from the 80s or 90s. I've done some searches, there's a little info out there on them. But if anyone has one, any tips or reviews would be appreciated.

I bought one of the Po Boys for my wife. Must have been way back in the 90's. Left hand model, The only problem is this, she rifle is almost as tall as she is. She can't see the muzzle end while loading. I have to do the loading for her. That and it's a bit on the heavy side, so all of her shooting is from the bench. I usually don't have any time for shooting for myself. It' load and hand it over to her, prime the pan and boom. "load it up again!" .50 calibre front stuffer fun.
Overall, I don't recall any problems, other than normal flint changes after they wear down to a nub.

Just shot a flintlock for the first time. Wow, what a blast! Everything went off without a hitch! Thanks Black Powder TV, Maniacs, and the Bye book for the instruction! I’m hooked!
D318AEFB-4BD4-498C-9435-E58A6220B606.jpeg

Just shot a flintlock for the first time. Wow, what a blast! Everything went off without a hitch! Thanks Black Powder TV, Maniacs, and the Bye book for the instruction! I’m hooked!View attachment 53971
Once the smoke gets into your lungs, you are now addicted to black powder. There is no cure.

I have a DGW TN Mtn rifle po boy. Mines an early one, 1979-1980 per DGW. Ive done lots of load testing and it likes 80gr Swiss 2f, a .495 ball, and a white .014 cotton fabric from Joann Fabrics drylubed with 7:1 ballistol and water.

Love the gun, is a great shooter. My only gripe is flint life. It takes a small 5/8" flint. I get @ 20 shots, then knap it a bit, and get another 5-10 shots before its too short to use.

Back