• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dixie Gun Works Inc.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
I have dealt with Dixie on several occasions and have found them to be pretty good. I think their prices are comparable to TOW and others. The only down side I think they have is that their web page layout could be a little better. They have alot of inventory to offer but wish they had a layout like Track's. Needs more detailed pics. and descriptions of what they have to offer.I have bought alot of good quality items from them though, and their customer service and shipping time is top notch. I just bought their 2016 catalog for only $5.00. It reminds me of a Sears Robuck Catalog. It has 656 pages full of good stuff. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

I agree with you as well. Price is right on par, but I don't care for navigating the tabs on their page. Ordered from them a few times. Always prompt shipping with a tracking number. Would buy from them again anytime.

Did purchase a fowler from them. The thing was packaged and wrapped so much it would've survived an atomic bomb. :thumbsup:

Looking back some 45 years I think I spent more time with my nose in a Dixie catalog than I did shooting. Back then they were about the only people out there to get muzzleloading stuff from. I still buy from them from time to time and I still have my first Dixie catalog.

At the bottom of their pages throughout their catalog they show pictures of their employees and the positions they hold in the company and how long they have been employed with Dixie. I was shocked at their service time with that company. Most have been there since the 70's, a few in the 60's. They most definitely take good care of their employee's. Respectfully, cowboys1062

First catalogue I ever got, back in the 70s, drulled over it a lot, but I don't think I ever got anything from them that I can recall. Their web page is done poor.

With long-term employee deaths and retirements, few of the people left seem to know much about the technical aspects of their products beyond the information found in the catalog. They mainly just work to fill orders, handle exchanges, etc.

Have been drooling over their catalogs and buying from them since I was a kid almost 50 years ago.
Still pretty nice folks to deal with most of the time, though.

'morning,

I've been dealing with Dixie longer than I have any other ML supplier, mostly because I knew they existed while others (like TotW, I've recently discovered).

I think Dixie's cast Sharps bullets have better defined rings than TotW, but I haven't shot those I got from TotW yet to compare performance. In my experience, some of Dixie's items are lower quality - particularly leather gear, but it is definitely still usable. Shipping is quick, and I've never had an issue with an order, also never had to return anything.

And I'll be the first to disagree. I like the way Dixie's website is laid out, and have trouble finding what I want on TotW's. Guess it's all in what you're used to.

Calum

Have every catalog I ever got from them. Including the first one I got in the early 70s. The Tennessee Mountain Rifle page is about worn out on it. Finally got one about a year or so ago, second hand. Have bought quite a bit from them over the years, and a few of their guns, used, as well.

Have to agree, sort of, on their web page, it can be confusing, especially as they keep things they haven't stocked for a while. But the reference value there is nice, so its a double edged sword. Speaking of reference, lots of good info in the back of the catalogs. Always had good luck emailing them for info as well.

Managed to get into their store once, when on a road trip, and enjoyed it thoroughly, though it was after Turner's passing. A lot to see there. Way beyond TOW's store.

Whatever you think about them, you certainly have to give Turner Kirkland a nod for what he did for our hobby. I doubt very much that muzzleloading today wouuld be what it is without him.

Dixie's search engine could be better. If one was looking for the little pocket remington revolvers the all steel will not show up with the other, forget why now. If you want some Tow you'll have to remember to use "" around it or use the term flax.

But like the rest of ya, I've never had a bad item or bad service and think those kentucky rifle covers are a bargain.

Dixie is an American institution, but I feel it has lost some of its charm since the passing of Turner Kirkland. I watch Dixie closely for sales and markdowns and they have some really good values.
I am sure sorry they quit publishing their Black Powder Annual. I have almost all the editions, and treasure them.

+1 on the bad search engine.
I know they carry the Pedersoli 1795 Musket, but I have never been able to find it using the search engine.
Same experience with other items as well.

I have only ordered from Dixie twice because I usually find better deals elsewhere.

In the first case it was a Pedersoli flint lock for my rebuild project which includes conversion from percussion to flint. The lock I got was a disaster with numerous serious and obvious quality issues. How it got out of the factory, I don't know. Now, I don't blame Dixie for that, but when I checked with them to see if I returned it for exchange that they would open the box and make sure what they were sending was not defective, they would not do it, so I returned it for refund...and of course it cost me the shipping both ways...that sucked.

Recently I ordered a Pedersoli Sharps from them. Good sale price. Was supposed to come with the Vernier sight and didn't. A call to them and they got one sent off to me. They said...yeah...that happens a lot. :shocked2: Uh...if that's the case, wouldn't someone check to be sure all the stuff is in there before shipping?

I'd say I'm luke-warm on Dixie. Would order if I "have" to to get something I want, but I won't be making a habit of it.

Might order more from them if they had a decent web site like TOW. I usually find what I need at TOW and their web site is very good and prices competitive.

"Whatever you think about them, you certainly have to give Turner Kirkland a nod for what he did for our hobby. I doubt very much that muzzleloading today wouuld be what it is without him."

Absolutely agree with that. Turner K was definitely the patriarch of our wonderful hobby.

I have to agree about Turner K. I read an article about him that stated when he first started out in the muzzleloader business he sold original muzzleloader parts out of the trunk of his car! There was no reproduction/factory guns out at the time and was before the muzzleloader resurgence. Company's like TC, CVA, or any other didn't come about yet. Dixie Gun Works came about in 1954. Turner E. Kirkland was born in 1924 and passed in 1997. He was truly a forefather of the traditional muzzleloading industry as we know it today. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Back