• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie 1 3/4" bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scharms

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone here used (or own) DGW's 1/2 scale 1841 6 Pounder cannon 1 3/4" bore? There are no reviews on their website... ...Sounds like it would be just the ticket for golf balls!

Cant help on Dixie barrel question
golf balls use 1 3/4 bore as the range from 1.69 to 1.71 and yes the bore is 1.75
must allow for windage as cannons are not the same as a rifle
as the bore gets bigger shooting chartoistics change although i use a cotton cleaning patch in my 1 inch and 3/4 cannons as i load and move to the fireing line nice keepingthe ball seated
golf balls make poor projectiles and not accurate but it is fun showing folks what your shooting if accuracy is not important and noise and fun is but there are sources for lead balls in golf ball dia's
I sold my golf ball cannon it had a cast iron barrel with steel liner and im making a new barrel
out of good grade steel
i be very interested if you find out any info on these barrels
buzz

If using golf balls DO NOT shoot at any solid objects. Golfballs can bounce back from a solid surface, they are ok for shooting out over water or at targets over 200 yards away. You will be safer using a lead ball. Be sure of your back stop as even big lead balls will recocet of rocks.

Im sure other will chime in but for me in my 1" bore cannon i shoot between 175of 2F or 225 grains of 1F
i just got my cannon form signed/notorizered and ready to buy my 1 3/4 bore barrel for my next prodject from Hern
but the one i had few years ago i shooting 425 grains of 2f and 500 grains 1F
NOw the only reasion i was shoot 2F was to get rid of it as it was pyrodex and i had a case to get rid of
The NSSA i think has a chart for safe loads per bore size

I use 550 grains of 1f with 1/3 cup of cornmeal on top for a blank load in my 1 3/4 inch bore Howitzer.
The cornmeal gives some resistance for a louder report and the illusion of more smoke.
See Howitzer for pictures.
SC45-70

Not a cannon - I have two GB mortars. The most that I have ever loaded has been 85 grains of Fg powder. That makes a GB go pretty smartly.
Last year, I picked up a barrel of GB sized steel balls and used the same load. The result was startlingly different - very much louder and sharper and the steel ball was gone, never to be found. Despite it's size, no one saw it go; it was that fast.
Pete

I just lodged a mould with Roto Metals to cast zinc in golf ball diameter. As soon as I get a sample and if they check out okay they will be available for purchase from them.

Latest posts

Back