Displaying unseemly vanity...

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

colmoultrie

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, and it does show off my hubris, but I just had an article on the Lenape and Pontiac’s Rebellion published in Journal of the American Revolution: https://allthingsliberty.com/2020/01/the-lenape-origins-of-an-independent-america-the-catalyst-of-pontiacs-war-1763-1765/

Yes, it does amount to tooting my own horn, but it covers the 1758 Treaty of Easton, Forbes’ campaign, and the Battle of Bushy Run, among other subjects. I flatter myself that the denizens of this forum might be among the small group interested. If you enjoy it, please recommend it to friends, and comment on the article. If you don’t like it, of course, tell me that as well.

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Haven't read it yet, but I thank you for sharing it. I will report back my thoughts. I don't think you're "rooting your own horn," posting it here. You let a group of people with a similar historic interest know that the articles is there, just waiting to be read, you didn't come here and tell us it is the best article ever written or that ever will be written on the subject.

OldRust

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, and it does show off my hubris, but I just had an article on the Lenape and Pontiac’s Rebellion published in Journal of the American Revolution: https://allthingsliberty.com/2020/01/the-lenape-origins-of-an-independent-america-the-catalyst-of-pontiacs-war-1763-1765/

Yes, it does amount to tooting my own horn, but it covers the 1758 Treaty of Easton, Forbes’ campaign, and the Battle of Bushy Run, among other subjects. I flatter myself that the denizens of this forum might be among the small group interested. If you enjoy it, please recommend it to friends, and comment on the article. If you don’t like it, of course, tell me that as well.
Remember "It ain't bragging if you do it ! " and you did it A Very good article Thanks

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

Colmoultrie,

I must say I particularly enjoyed reading more on the Lenape, who I had learned many years ago were subjugated to the Iroquois. Your explanation of that subjugation filled in holes of my knowledge and I appreciate it.

Further, IMO your article has a "Paul Harvey Quality" (and now, for the REST of the story) to it that I always appreciate. We often get Who, What, When and Where; but too often don't get enough of the WHY of history. Your article had a lot of WHY to it.

Congratulations,
Gus

colmoultrie

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words! Coincidentally, I just did an interview last night for Journal of the American Revolution’s podcast, Dispatches, on the article. It should appear in about four weeks.

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words! Coincidentally, I just did an interview last night for Journal of the American Revolution’s podcast, Dispatches, on the article. It should appear in about four weeks.
How does one get this "podcast" interview?
Also, are there printed copies available of this article you have posted the link to?

colmoultrie

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Brokennock,
You can get Podcasts through the Apple Podcast app, or through Google Play on an Android system. Search for Journal of the American Revolution Dispatches. As I said, it’ll appear in about four weeks, as they have several in the pipeline.

JAR does publish an annual hardcover of the year’s best articles on the website - who knows if they’ll choose mine - but otherwise it’s an online magazine. They do publish some nice articles, book reviews, and interviews with historians like Colin Calloway from Dartmouth. They are associated with a small publishing house, Westholme, which publishes a number of monographs on specific topics for enthusiasts and researchers.

colmoultrie

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
They’ll typically do a short article on it - you can get a sense of that on the JAR website, but I’m not sure how much of what I had to say will be on it. This is a first for me as well...

ppg1949

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just found this thread and I have to say that article was very interesting and very informative. colmoultrie, thank you for posting it.

colmoultrie

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen!
If you liked the piece and have a minute, please do me a favor and leave a comment on the site. Even if you didn’t like it, leave a comment for me to consider.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you don’t like it, of course, tell me that as well.
AH kind of you to accept such, but remember..., you took the time to do the research, to write the scholarly article, and to submit it for publication with your name attached...and the editor thought it worthy!! Beware of the harsh critics, if any are encountered with this article or any articles done in the future, who have never done such. :thumb:

LD

judgejohnmd

32 Cal
Reaction score
Very well done! As Loyalist Dave, a life long Marylander, I greatly appreciate the history of our mid-treatment of the Original People who were the keepers of these lands long before the European settlers set foot here.
Great read!!
John in Maryland

AH kind of you to accept such, but remember..., you took the time to do the research, to write the scholarly article, and to submit it for publication with your name attached...and the editor thought it worthy!! Beware of the harsh critics, if any are encountered with this article or any articles done in the future, who have never done such. :thumb:

LD

wiksmo

40 Cal
Reaction score
@colmoultrie Excellent scholarship portraying the intricate position within the Indian cultures, which the Lenape occupied. Also appreciated the positive comments listed on JAR about your writing/research. Thoroughly enjoyed your historical read. :thumb: wiksmo

Group Builder