• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Discharge or shoot my remington 1858?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better idea is to cast your own ball, the way that most of us who are not rich do. Here in UK, with Pedersoli .454cal ball priced right there at $20/100, I can cast my own for a tenth of that.
That's what i'm going to do man! I just ordered .454 to try the size out if they be fine then i will get a casting block for .454 bullets! 🙂

457 is ROA usually
Hopefully i can shoot these bullets in my starr so that i get at least some use of them. Loaded my starr army cal 44 DA with these .457 bullets yesterday with no problem they were easy to get in the chambers i even put paper around them since they were getting in too easy and maybe could roll out. I will try out and see how they shoot! Got no vehicle atm so can't go out to any place for shooting atm...so at least i get any use of these .457 it's damn expensive

Just curious if you don’t mind me asking? How much did that original pre 1890 revolver cost?
It's fine man!
The remington 44 1858 costed anywhere around 2400$
and the starr army 44 DA around 1900$ in sweden.
i'm mostly interested of having a functional gun tho i'm not much of a antiquarian guy. That's just simply the only way for me of being able to buy guns....but they are damn expensive....too expensive actually for me. But still worth to be able having any guns at least. Since the starr jams between each bullet i'm going to sell it in future and probably get another remington for money or something more. That way at least i get 12 bullets to shoot instead of 6 before needing to load since loading is so slow with bp guns.

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the forum. Next, every 58 Remington that I ever owned needed a .451 ball and only the Ruger Old Army had cylinders large enough to require a .457 ball. The .451 balls always shaved a lead ring and accuracy was always good. My advice would be to get some lubed fiber wads in 44 caliber, such as the Wonder Wads. Measure 20 grains of 3f black powder and pour into the cylinder, followed by a fiber wad. Then seat a .451 round ball on top. Repeat 4 or 5 more times. My most accurate load was 23 grains of 3f Goex. See how that works in your Remington. Go up by one grain at a time in order to see what your revolver "likes".
Thanks man! Good advices over there. I'm waiting to get .454 bullets to try and if they are too large i will try .451 bullets to know what size casting block i need for what sized bullets. When i higher the amount of 3f Goex 1 grain at time how do i know if it's getting too much powder or what my gun likes? I mean does it sound different or spark more in the chamber? Or simple the precision of the gun?
And is there a difference in bullet size of rem. 1858 or the nowday new produced remington copys?

Thanks man! Good advices over there. I'm waiting to get .454 bullets to try and if they are too large i will try .451 bullets to know what size casting block i need for what sized bullets. When i higher the amount of 3f Goex 1 grain at time how do i know if it's getting too much powder or what my gun likes? I mean does it sound different or spark more in the chamber? Or simple the precision of the gun?
And is there a difference in bullet size of rem. 1858 or the nowday new produced remington copys?
After shooting the 20 grain loads, note the size of your grouping on your target. Now load 21 grains into each cylinder and see if your group is smaller. Increase to 22 grains. If using the fiber wad, once you get to 25 grains then you should be close to maximum and you don't want to use any more powder. Without the fiber wad your max load is 30 grains anyway. All you are doing is looking for is the smallest group on your target, as you said it's the precision.

After shooting the 20 grain loads, note the size of your grouping on your target. Now load 21 grains into each cylinder and see if your group is smaller. Increase to 22 grains. If using the fiber wad, once you get to 25 grains then you should be close to maximum and you don't want to use any more powder. Without the fiber wad your max load is 30 grains anyway. All you are doing is looking for is the smallest group on your target, as you said it's the precision.
Oooh okay thanks for the information that's good to know. 😀 I will try!

Hey guys! Not sure if anyone get a notification but the problem is solved now. My friend helped me to get down the bullet all the way with some of his tools for airspace in the chamber and i shot it out! Just finished cleaning the guns.

Forgot to make a clip on that tho due to crazy circumstances in sweden since you can't shoot anywhere literally...i was planing to shoot at the closest shooting gallery but found out i can't...and you can't shoot in forests either...you can't shoot anywhere.

But yeah anyways i shot the bullets out so waiting for my .454 bullets now to arrive. I will see how they do and if they do good i will get a .454 casting block otherwise i try .451 😀 thanks for all the help! I will post a clip shooting it one day

Back