• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dirty laundry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ropa Vieja,
It’s a dish that goes back at least to Middle Ages, though western vegies went in it. Known in colonial time, I doubt Washington or Boone ever ate it. But just maybe( ?) someone tasted it in Spanish St. Louis or near the Florida border in Georgia(?)
I just made a plateful
Traditional it should be made with flank steak but I like a round roast.
A couple of pounds of round roast browned in olive oil, then boiled for three to four hours. Remove meat from broth
Shred the meat pulling apart to to leave long fibers. And set in a bowl.
Slice a large green pepper, and red pepper, a couple of yellow onions and thick cut carrots sticks.
Sauté in oil till soft, season with garlic, black pepper, oragano, smoked paprika, a little nutmeg, and allspice. Cover with crushed tomatoes. Return the shredded meat and let simmer to blend the flavor. Top with sliced green olive and pimentos with a few tablespoons of the green olive juice. Serve with rice.
Easy to make in camp, if you make it at home it taste better if left over night, and reheated before you add the olives and pimentos.
The shredded beef looked like ragged ends of old laundry.... maybe as a colonial dish we could call it old rifelmans coat:D

Back