• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dirty 'em all! ends May 31st 2013

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have all the guns to shoot for the aggregate, but I was able to shoot and get my guns dirty. My cards are in the mail and now I am cleaning my guns. Mission accomplished!

I sometimes need an excuse to get out and shoot and Jethro always presents a challenge for us. I am always surprised that with the thousands of members on this forum, just a handful participate in the contests. Anyway, I have my guns clean and waiting on the next shoot. (Patting my foot, patting my foot, patting my foot,...)

Soooo, for the first time I can write my targets are in the mail!!

Actually I am not 100% positive the targets are valid, because, oh wonder, in metric county there are no 3x5es. I printed the 3x5 rectangles and cut them out before shooting them.

I had to participate, of course.
Now here is the story how I made it today (hopefully it doesn't sound like the dog ate my homework)

Rain, rain, rain for the last two weeks. Friday, a day off was the only day left. I was quite happy when the sun peeked through the storm clouds in the morning. After finishing the Honey-do-list, packed the stuff and off to the range. There are no covers, no roofs...you see it coming.

After I posted 2 targets in reasonable distance from each other I commenced the drill. Standing 25 yards from the targets with my shooting bag and horn and of course my 28 gauge flintlock smoothbore "The Lady".

Loading up the shot charge and fire, not too bad... now what is that black monster cloud coming in from Northwest. Loading a little bit quicker - wind picks up - bang wow that worked well the first roundball hit the card not far from the center. The first rain drop falls on my hand. OK, we gotta speed up things a little bit here - this is a bad one. Of course it is always a good idea to pour powder BEFORE the ball. My head beeing occupied with the thunder storm coming in, just omitted the powder charge. I must confess, I thought it'll never happen to me because of loading slow and deliberate. Well, today I joined the club. Fortunately I had the ball puller in the shooting bag. Ball out, spit patch in/out. And now fist powder then ball. By the time it's raining pretty good. Covering the lock with my hand, prime, cock, aim, poof no boom. Ok, pick the vent, prime fire. Boom, miss - dang, it started so good. The third roundball hits the card again, the fourth goes astray. Concentrate! Now the ligth coat is through, water running down my back and the targets don't look good either. Come one one more! After running a patch over the well watered lock loading, priming and firing, good hit the card again. Then pack up and drive home. The worst part is to get the soaked targest off the backer. Now I gotta run to the post office but before that the targets undergo a little drying with a hairdryer and finally are sent off.

This is what the targets look like (the third hit ripped quite a chunk out of the paper, because it was wet):

So there you have it...

:grin:
Silex

As most of you know, I like to give the targets until @ the 10th of the month to arrive before I post any results. This month I'll be gone to Friendship so it'll be a little longer. Hang in there. I'll post the results in a little over a week.

I know y'all have been chewin' yer nails down to nubbs waitin' for the final results and I FINALLY have them ready to post!

In the smooth rifle category;
Deadeye shot a 3.083
Hanshi scored 12.944
Nobody else turned in a smooth rifle target

In the smoothbore division;
Deadeye 4.081
MDK-WV 9.300
Silex 9.076
Skunkskinner 12.456

In the rifle division;
Deadeye 1.516
Skunkskinner 5.147
Hanshi 5.950
MDK-WV 7.214
Buford 9.620

In the pistol division;
Deadeye 2.364
Skunkskinner 8.208
Hanshi 8.230

And in shotgun;
Deadeye 48 hits
Skunkskinner 28 hits
Silex 17 hits
MDK-WV 10 hits

Now for the whole shebang. Only 2 members sent in targets for the aggregate. Deadeye even went the extra step and sent in the smoothrifle target on top of the rest.
Deadeye scored a 7.961 total plus his 48 hits on the shotgun target.
Skunkskinner scored a 25.811 total plus his 28 hit shotgun target.

Congrats Deadeye, you win the whole shebang and the fabulous prize! :hatsoff:
I might add that was some darn fine shootin'! Especially that rifle target. 1.516" total for 5 shots! Holy Cow! Didn't make it none too easy on me to measure that! :shocked2: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I'll get with you on a PT to figger out where to send your prize. It's a shooting bag hand made by yours truly. I hope you like it.

Thanks, Skunkskinner, I was hoping there would be a whole bunch of folks out for this shoot. What shot size were you shooting? When shooting that size target I usually get about 25 hits but when I got ready to shoot I found I only had no.6 shot in the 1 oz. packets, that I make, but had some 8s in 1/2 oz. packets so put in 2 of them and got the best hits ever. Since then I've tried the same thing again but it only worked that once. Congrats to you, good shooting. Thanks, Jethro, How was Friendship? Deadeye

Congratulations to everyone who shot. It's not about wheather you win or lose as much as getting better aquainted with your guns and learning exactly where they shoot and learning to shoot offhand. Deadeye

Deadeye said:
Congratulations to everyone who shot. It's not about wheather you win or lose as much as getting better aquainted with your guns and learning exactly where they shoot and learning to shoot offhand. Deadeye

That's it exactly. :thumbsup:

I was hoping there would be a whole bunch of folks out for this shoot.

Me too. But, after scoring all of the targets I did get, I was kinda glad there wasn't a whole bunch more. :haha:

Thanks, Jethro, How was Friendship?

You're welcome.
Friendship was a real good time. Saw a lot of good friends. Didn't shoot everything that I wanted to (again) but had a blast. :grin:

Congratulations Deadeye, great shootin! :hatsoff:
I have some more shootin to do catch up with the rest of the group. :bow:
Thanks Jethro for the challenge and to all those who participated. I hope to do better on the the next one.

Congratulations Deadeye :hatsoff: !

Thank you Jethro for putting it up and putting up with it... :wink:

Now June...

Silex

Back