• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dirty 'em all! ends May 31st 2013

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Silex had the idea a few months back for something like this one so give him some credit for dirtying up ALL of your guns. :haha:

This time we will have a little something for everyone... or a whole bunch of shootin' for some of you. :thumbsup: You do not have to shoot in every category to participate but you can;
Break out the rifle, smoothbore, and pistol for this contest!
We're doing 5 shots with rifle,
5 shots with smoothbore loaded with ball,
5 shots with pistol,
and 1 shot with smoothbore loaded with shot!
That oughta give you something to do until the end of May!
EDIT: There will be an additional class for smooth rifle/ sighted smoothbore. 5 shots at the 3" x 5" index card target at 25 yards. This class will NOT count toward the aggregate score since it is being added as an afterthought.

At the end of it all I will post the results for each category PLUS the results for the agg. for any shooters who shoot ALL caregories.
As an added bonus this time I have a prize that I will send to the winner of the aggregate! Aim small!

5 Shots at the center of a 3"x 5" index card with an X drawn thru the center at 25 yards. One shot at the same type target and distance for shotgun target.

Use a separate target for each category!

You may enter one or more categories or all of them.

Each shot will be measured from center of target to center of hole. These 5 measurements will be added together for your score.
A miss will be scored as the distance from center to a corner plus .025".
All pellet holes in index card will be counted for shotgun target.

One target entry per member/per category.

5 shots per target except shotgun target.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 5 holes, except shotgun target, will be disqualified.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading rifles, smoothbores (no rear sights), pistols, and/or revolvers (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition.

Single patched round ball only, except for shotgun target. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)
Use your best patterning shotgun load for your gun at 25 yards for the shotgun target. BUT it must be a "pattern"! No taped-up "slug" loads! Slug loads will be counted as ONE hole.

Shots will be taken off-hand at 25 yards.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

The center of the target will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name and category of each target must be written on your targets.

The contest runs thru May, 2013.

Mail your target postmarked by May 31, 2013 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

Lots of shooting. About the shot load......Best patterning load, ok. How much shot is allowed? 3/4oz? 1 1/2oz?
Does the "smoothbore loaded with shot" have to be the same one used with the round ball?
Pete

How much shot is allowed?
Your call. Use whatever load patterns best for your gun. I considered making a size/measure rule for shot and decided against it this time. Some folks don't have the same size shot and some guns pattern better with less or more. :idunno:
Only the pellets that hit the 3x5 card count anyway. :wink:

Does the "smoothbore loaded with shot" have to be the same one used with the round ball?
No. Just so it's a traditional sidelock smoothbore with no rear sight.
(Pete REALLY wants to dirty 'em all up.)

I think I will be able to shoot this with the rifle target. The last match I was going to the range to shoot and dropped my cased squirrel rifle and broke the lock bolts in the lock. This will be a good excuse to shoot................watch yer top knot..............

Hey Jeffrow!..... Do I win if I get my shot load to slug on target? :slap:
I'll just count the pellets before i load them and save you some time. :grin:

:slap: :slap: :slap: NO! :slap: :slap: :slap:
That's only one hole!

:hmm: Thought I covered that in the rules...
Oh yeah, WI cheesehead... cain't hardly unnerstand readin'... nevermind. :blah:

:redface: :redface: :redface: Now ya tell me! :grin:
We doing shot loads unchoked? cyl. only?

:hmm: ....I only got one smoothbore and it has a rear sight; so I guess I won't be doing any smoothy shooting. I do have a pistol and a rifle, though.

Is cheating allowed? :stir: What about bribes or booty smooching? :bow:

Bribes are always appreciated, but they won't get you any better of a score. :haha:

Just get ya a hammer and knock that pesky ol' rear sight offa that smoothie and yer in for the whole shootin' match!

I have been needing a reason to drag out all three anyway before Friendship. Thanks for the motivation! I will brake out the Bess this week so I do not need to bring a spotting scope.

1/2 done,Got both the ball and shot targets for the smoothie done today, then got way too windy for any decent shooting with the rifle and pistol.Deadeye

:thumbsup: I had a feeling you'd be in it for the whole agg. Plenty of time left for the rifle and pistol targets.

I was thinking it ended at the end of April but now I see we have til end of May. That may be good since forecast is for 8" of snow in the next 2 days, Brrrrrrrrr.

In order to get them all dirty I'll have to take one shot with each of my 5 rifles. and I only got 4 pistols so that means I gotta shoot one of them twice, and then I got my double barrel shot gun so I'd have to shoot a ball out of one barrel and shot out of the other. It just goes on and on........ :idunno: :haha: Oh then I got my Hand gonne and my golf ball mortor and by the way who's gonna clean all this stuff. :stir:

Just to be clear, you mentioned revolvers, so a cap and ball revolvers will be OK, correct?

Thanks!!!!

54mountain said:
In order to get them all dirty I'll have to take one shot with each of my 5 rifles. and I only got 4 pistols so that means I gotta shoot one of them twice, and then I got my double barrel shot gun so I'd have to shoot a ball out of one barrel and shot out of the other. It just goes on and on........ :idunno: :haha: Oh then I got my Hand gonne and my golf ball mortor and by the way who's gonna clean all this stuff. :stir:

:hmm: I guess you've got all the bases covered. You could signal the start of the shooting with the gonne and the end of the shooting with the golf ball mortor since they don't really fit any of the categories for targets, but they'd at least be dirty.
You get to clean 'em all yourself... but wait until I buy that stock in cleaning patches first. :grin:

I have enough muskets and rifles but I would have to use a couple of 58 Remingtons to finish with the pistols. As I would not like to even think about cleaning all these guns so I think I will just shoot one of each. The cap and ball revolver has me thinking, I would only have to load this one time! I have to find my 451 ball and axle grease.

Pretty fair puttin' the blame errr credit on me :wink: Jethro. Thank you!

Oh well I guess I have to shoot this one.
Since the weather is picking up it might work this time. It's been quite a while since I had the C&B and the .50 caplock out of the safe... gonna be fun!!!

So you 100+ gun guys you mind me sending over my guns for cleaning at you place :grin:
I'm sure be getting some of those looks with the pistol, smoothie and rifle on the kitchen table just having them cleaned over the sink...

Silex

Back