• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dimick Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s good shooting, @Sun City ! Those Dimick rifles are under-represented, and I’m glad to see this one enjoy its day in the sun.

What kind of barrel do you have on that rifle, and where did you get the bison target?

Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob

Dimmick was a contemporary of the Hawken Brothers. The Dimmick rifles were fine rifles on their own. Target competitions between the Dimmick rifles and Gemmer built Hawken rifles were evenly matched. The Dimmick rifle is underrepresented. Sadly, the only source I know of for a Dimmick rifle was the kits offered by Don Stith (deceased). To make one, one would have to gather the various pieces and build from a plank.

That’s good shooting, @Sun City ! Those Dimick rifles are under-represented, and I’m glad to see this one enjoy its day in the sun.

What kind of barrel do you have on that rifle, and where did you get the bison target?

Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob
Sharon barrel. Buff target was off a site I found on my computer. Just copied it and ran off on my printer!

Sharon barrel. Buff target was off a site I found on my computer. Just copied it and ran off on my printer!
Thanks!

Sharon barrels were legendary in their day.

I found the targets online. The web address is actually on the face of the target in post #1, but I missed seeing it the first go-round.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

A gorgeous rifle for certain, and precise shooting!

I can't tell if the stomach gage is showing full or empty.

Frosty
Those two gut shots were first two fired! I then did a little filing onto the front sight and fired 8 more in the one ragged hole! Had a slight left wind so I just left it be! Shot NRA HP for 50 years and the eyes still good! Praise the Good Lord!!

Wish I had my 40 year old eyes! At 75 my best friend is a Merit Adjustable Iris. This is fine from the bench, not so much when hunting.

As I joke with the group I shoot with, I have many sight pictures to choose from. Just have to pick the correct one!!

Air I envy your shooting.

Frosty

Thanks!

Sharon barrels were legendary in their day.

I found the targets online. The web address is actually on the face of the target in post #1, but I missed seeing it the first go-round.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Notchy, I was in Kelispell, Mt., in the 80s (where Sharon barrels were made). I asked a guy where the factory was that made them so that I might buy another for a build. He said that the "last time I saw a Sharon Rifle barrel, I was throwing a horseshoe at it..."
Mine on my .45 still shoots well!

You can not do that with Hornady balls, according to another thread they all weigh different and can not be accurate!

Great shooting!
When I was ten years age my Dad (God Rest His Soul) bought me an 03A3 Springfield rifle and told me....if you want to shoot there's the lead, mould, powder, brass, primers, and all the equipment you need so cast you up the bullets and he showed me how to cast and load...such as to keep the lead bullets at around 1500 fps so leading wouldn't occur. So....that was in 1950 I might add and I've cast bullets and swaged balls and bullets for quite a while now! The balls I shoot now are HORNADY SWAGED balls and I find them very accurate in weight/diameter such that I don't have to do anything now but stock up with Hornady and let them do the work for me! Swaged bullets or balls are much more reliable because there are no VOIDS within the core!

31207785438_68db8b292a_k by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back