• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dimensions of Pedersoli Kentucky vs. Lym. Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman's Plains pistol in .54 which I am happy with the power and accuracy.

However, my hands are not large enough to reach the hammer and pull it back to full-cock. I have to use my left hand to cock it, or readjust my grip after cocking the gun.

Is the geometry of the Pedersoli Kentucky such that it might solve this problem?

Or am I just too used to single-action revolvers, and using two hands is/was just the way it is done with muzzleloader pistols?

Black Jaque said:
I have a Lyman's Plains pistol in .54 which I am happy with the power and accuracy.

However, my hands are not large enough to reach the hammer and pull it back to full-cock. I have to use my left hand to cock it, or readjust my grip after cocking the gun.

Is the geometry of the Pedersoli Kentucky such that it might solve this problem?

Or am I just too used to single-action revolvers, and using two hands is/was just the way it is done with muzzleloader pistols?

The preferred method is to pickup the pistol/revolver with your left hand, place it in your right hand and grasp firmly. Cock the pistol/revolver with your left hand without moving your right hand from the grip.

That is the recommended way.

Single shot pistols are just not designed to be cocked with one hand-it just wasn't something thought about back then. On many it is simply physically impossible to do so. By and large, pistols of the day were an expensive rarity, generally belonging to gentlemen for dueling, or soldiers for fighting from horseback-the Kentucky and other non dueling or military pistols were not common items (which explains the popularity of the Tomahawk and Rifleman's knife). Some of the single shot "Kentucky" and "Trapper" style pistols are abysmally laid out- a poorly shaped handle (I refuse to call it a grip) that gives no stability, coupled with a center of gravity far forward, making for an awkward balancing act (I'm looking at you, CVA/Traditions) while trying to hold the sights on target while pulling the trigger. Others, like the Pedersoli, get it right, and some of the Dueling pistol reproductions are amazing to hold and hang on the target effortlessly.
But, no, NONE of them cock easily with the hand holding them.

First thing I noticed when I got my Pedersoli pistol, was when I picked it up, the barrel just kind of naturally was pointed up due to the grip shape. And it just feels right to hold and aim one handed too, maybe because it's muzzle heavy.

Latest posts

Back