• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

different ways to fire a cannon and loading questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were really an ember in the barrel left over from the previous ignition the new powder charge would have detonated when poured down the muzzle or when rammed down to the breech. Cook off is from hot metal some where in the barrel or breech and embers are from burning paper from the blank cartridge or contaminated powder.
I shoot both 1 F and cannon grade powder in the mortar and it does not leave burning embers in the tube with a charge of 1500 grains per shot. That is nearly 3 ounces and I have never seen an ember left smoldering.
Contaminated powder would certainly be suspect though. Still better safe than sorry so all safety rules for cannonry should always be observed. Mike D.

As a civil war reenactor I have seen cook offs in muskets. Of course we are pouring Loose powder down the barrels, instead of powder cartridges. The reason we have cook-off has been deduced because we are firing so fast our barrels get so hot(that I can attest to) we can't hold them without burning our hands. I have since slown down to the regulation 3 shots per minute, but on a hot summer day it still gets hot. I have several buddies who have BP grains imbeded in their right thumbs, forefinger and middle finger from cook-offs. Off course we don't swab between shots and our muskets very seldemn get pointed down towards the ground when firing so loose matter doesn't come out.
Even my little small .58 caliber South Bend Cannon
gets the 3 minute wait between live shots.
Here is how I fire my 50 lb cannon- taught to me from full size cannon drill
1: worm (incae of loose impediments and to insure shamber is clear
2: Wet swab
3: dry swab
4: insert cartridge with an open palm leaving a enouogh out that it can be pulled out.
5: ram
6: prick with vent pick
7: insert fuze, or cap
8: light fuse or pull rope.
At all times the shafts of the rammer, worms, swabs must be done with hand pointing up and thumb laying along side of shaft instead of wwrapped around shaft this is in event of cookoff tthe implement is sent down range without your thumb joining it.
At all times we are to wear leather gloves, and a tthumbstall used and thumb place over the vent tto prevent air to be introduced while clering for the next shot-and finally a 3 minute wait between shots.

I too make up my cartridges out of alfoil, the only problem to date is the build up of old cartridges in the breach of my cannon. I have to make up a decent worm to remove the debris.

Cheers

heelerau

Back