• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Different Ubertis?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSAR15

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am new to Black Powder revolvers and have bought a couple Ubertis. I intend to buy some more and build a collection.
Is the a difference (aside from price) in the pistols if I buy them from Midway, or Taylor's, or some other reseller?
Thanks

IMO no. Not anymore.
There was a claim that Cimarron used to hand pick the pistols they sold, but that was years ago and some still think it's true. And I have received a Uberti from them that I was pretty unsatisfied with. Might have been a lever action.

I have Ubertis from four different importers and see no difference.

There is no difference. The myth comes from the fact that Mike Harvey of Cimarron worked with Uberti to improve their product in the early `80's. They paid an extra $30 per gun for extra attention. Eventually those improvements made it into all of Uberti's guns. Today and for at least the last 20yrs, if not 30yrs, there is no difference among any of the importers. Yet the myth persists.

I bought an Uberti 60 army from Dixie gunworks about a year ago. Polished the internals, added Slixshot nipples, shimmed the arbor. It's an outstanding revolver, smooth as a baby's behind, probably my favorite revolver out of a couple dozen, black powder and modern

My experience since November 2022 with Uberti and their supply sources:

• Midway - Colt Walker – returned as damaged and smashed Uberti box – could not be replaced.
  • Midway – Colt Whitneyville – Firing mechanism very hard and cylinder rubbing hard – replaced by Midway.
  • Midway – same above Whitneyville again defective – impossible to remove barrel and cylinder locked - sent to Uberti for repair – still waiting return.
  • Midway – Colt 1861 Navy Civilian 7 ½” – average firing mechanism – hard barrel removal. Kept it. Intend to send to a gunsmith for tunning.
  • Midway – Colt 1862 Pocket Navy 5 ½” - – defective firing mechanism – sent to Uberti – received back and still problematic - sending to gunsmith for tuning.
  • Midway – Colt 1861 Navy 5” – Taylor’s packaging – mint and fully functional – Revolver rug included - smooth firing mechanism. Less packaging grease.
Simple – out of 5 Uberti’s received from Midway – the 4 Midway Uberti units are problematic or down right defective and the Taylor unit (received from Midway) was excellent.

Guess where my next Uberti will come from?

I believe MidWay gets the "Seconds" but that being said, I've had good luck crushing their sales on both Pietta and Ubertis

Going from memory since I'm at work :

MidWay- Pietta steel frame .44 Navy , was a little rough action wise but otherwise a beautiful gun. It smoothed out after a 100 rounds

MidWay- Pietta Dance and Brother- other than a jiggly loading lever, it's perfect

MidWay- .44 "Reb Navy" , loading lever latch loose and falls out. Put another one in, fits fine. The gun is super slick and shoots great

MidWay- .36 Leech & Rigdon - Grips kinda sloppily fit but otherwise a great gun

Gun Shop Purchase - New Uberti 1858 Carbine. I haven't fired it but it seems flawless

MidWay - pair of $234 FrankenBrasser .44's. They're ugly but they shoot and function great. Already put 300 rounds each through them

MidWay- Pietta 1851 Navy. Functions and shoots as designed

Dixie- 12" Buntline by Pietta. Nothing wrong with it

Sportsmans Guide- 2 Uberti Walkers. One has a very light mainspring but otherwise fine

My experience since November 2022 with Uberti and their supply sources:

• Midway - Colt Walker – returned as damaged and smashed Uberti box – could not be replaced.
  • Midway – Colt Whitneyville – Firing mechanism very hard and cylinder rubbing hard – replaced by Midway.
  • Midway – same above Whitneyville again defective – impossible to remove barrel and cylinder locked - sent to Uberti for repair – still waiting return.
  • Midway – Colt 1861 Navy Civilian 7 ½” – average firing mechanism – hard barrel removal. Kept it. Intend to send to a gunsmith for tunning.
  • Midway – Colt 1862 Pocket Navy 5 ½” - – defective firing mechanism – sent to Uberti – received back and still problematic - sending to gunsmith for tuning.
  • Midway – Colt 1861 Navy 5” – Taylor’s packaging – mint and fully functional – Revolver rug included - smooth firing mechanism. Less packaging grease.
Simple – out of 5 Uberti’s received from Midway – the 4 Midway Uberti units are problematic or down right defective and the Taylor unit (received from Midway) was excellent.

Guess where my next Uberti will come from?
No offense but these claims are questionable. Even if true, they're certainly the exception and not the rule. Not 'just' because I ordered two Uberti's from Midway in the last six months and they are among the nicest I own.

No offense but these claims are questionable. Even if true, they're certainly the exception and not the rule. Not 'just' because I ordered two Uberti's from Midway in the last six months and they are among the nicest I own.

Yes, it is surprizing to me as well. I can substantiate my claims with written correspondance.

Bought a Uberti 1858 from Impact guns and it came in a really banged up looking box but the pistol itself has had no problems that I can tell. The action and cylinder feel excellent. Its a bit difficult to put the cylinder back in, but I think it might be user error? The hand gets in the way until I rotate the cylinder as I put it in, but then sometimes it's hard to load the rod back in.

If I ever get percussion caps I'll be able to fire it, a week after ordering my caps and they haven't even charged my card yet.

I've bought MANY revolvers from Midway over the past year or two, both Pietta and Uberti, and reading threads like these I wonder if I am the luckiest person on Earth, or other people are incredibly unlucky.

Latest posts

Back