• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Different caps "now",,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually, the #10 and #11 caps are the same diameter. The difference is, the #10 caps are a little longer than the #11 caps. That longer length puts the bottom of the cap further down on the nipple and because the nipple is tapered, the bottom of the cap ends up at a larger diameter on the nipple. That makes it a tight fit on a nipple that would seem to be too loose when a #11 cap is installed.
Incorrect. Number 11's are a couple thousandth's larger diameter.

I have some 10's and 11's, both Remington brand.
The 11's are a hair taller.

10's were originally intended for a revolver, which (allegedly) needed a slightly shorter cap.
(my reproduction "Colt" "1851 Navy" and "1860 Army" and "Remington 1858 New Army" all functioned just fine with number 11's.)

Incorrect. Number 11's are a couple thousandth's larger diameter.

I have some 10's and 11's, both Remington brand.
The 11's are a hair taller.

10's were originally intended for a revolver, which (allegedly) needed a slightly shorter cap.
(my reproduction "Colt" "1851 Navy" and "1860 Army" and "Remington 1858 New Army" all functioned just fine with number 11's.)
There's a link to a complete article regarding cap dimensions somewhere on this forum, but I can't locate it right now. A summary of this discussion, though, is pretty well summarized in this chart.

1600781258732.png

Uhmm, yes it will. If you shoot competition with muskets and want your score to drop, switch from RWS/Schutzen to CCI reenactor caps.
CCI reinactor caps are trash they are OK for clearing the fire path but will not work in my paper cartridge Sharps. RWS musket caps, on the other hand, work like a charm.
My experience with RWS 1075 caps is they don't work and I have only 3.5K of them on the shelf.
Anyone in central Texas likes them we can make a deal.

Latest posts

Back