• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Different caps "now",,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my own experience, there is not a ton of difference between the #10 and #11 caps as far as accuracy. Common sense would tell you there has to be some difference between brands, but that difference probably doesn't matter to most people. I also tried a magspark adapter with a 209 shotgun primer. A full power 209 primer did shoot worse than a #11 cap for me.

I can take just about any cap, CCI, Remington, Winchester, etc. and have a good day. The things I ran into were on long days, once in a while I would start to get not-so-instant ignition. Not quite a delay, but I could perceive that it wasn't instant. Now I could take the nipple out, clean it with a spit patch, run a couple spit patches down the barrel to clean all the gun out, and be back in business. This is in TC patent breech guns. Alternatively, I found switching to the CCI #11 magnum caps allowed me to continue under those circumstances.

The difference in price between a CCI #11 and a CCI #11 magnum is something like $2 per 1000. The difference between a CCI #11 magnum and a CCI musket cap is something like $18 per thousand.

I only shoot CCI #11 magnums myself anymore.

In my own experience, there is not a ton of difference between the #10 and #11 caps as far as accuracy. Common sense would tell you there has to be some difference between brands, but that difference probably doesn't matter to most people. I also tried a magspark adapter with a 209 shotgun primer. A full power 209 primer did shoot worse than a #11 cap for me.

I can take just about any cap, CCI, Remington, Winchester, etc. and have a good day. The things I ran into were on long days, once in a while I would start to get not-so-instant ignition. Not quite a delay, but I could perceive that it wasn't instant. Now I could take the nipple out, clean it with a spit patch, run a couple spit patches down the barrel to clean all the gun out, and be back in business. This is in TC patent breech guns. Alternatively, I found switching to the CCI #11 magnum caps allowed me to continue under those circumstances.

The difference in price between a CCI #11 and a CCI #11 magnum is something like $2 per 1000. The difference between a CCI #11 magnum and a CCI musket cap is something like $18 per thousand.

I only shoot CCI #11 magnums myself anymore.
What have you tried in your shotgun, and which one do you use now in your shotgun? I have no issues with any of my rifles or pistols. I just noticed I've had quite a few misfires last week while dove hunting with my new side by side using regular CCI.

@Hawk78, as far as nipples go, Track of the Wolf is your friend for selection. They have musket cap nipples for most of the common thread sizes. Do determine what thread size you need for your Pedersoli sxs shotgun. In the meantime, use the magnum caps.

What have you tried in your shotgun, and which one do you use now in your shotgun? I have no issues with any of my rifles or pistols. I just noticed I've had quite a few misfires last week while dove hunting with my new side by side using regular CCI.

In my Pedersoli SxS, I can't recall ever using anything besides CCI #11 magnum caps. I use TOTW stainless nipples, and never once had a problem. If the nipple is clear, I don't know how a SxS couldn't fire, it a direct straight shot into the powder. On the TC guns, the flame has to travel through a channel to get to the main charge. On TC's, I lightly bump the side after pouring powder, to try and get powder down that flame channel.

Do you think I can find a musket nipple for my perdersoli side by side shotgun? do not musket caps throw a larger flame? I'm just wondering because I already have 700 musket caps and a reliable local source of buying more.
As others have mentioned, musket size nipples are available to replace regular sized cap nipples but remember, musket caps are quite a bit larger in size.
That size difference can cause a problem if the hollowed out hammer recess in the nose of the hammer isn't large enough to easily clear the larger cap.

As others have mentioned, musket size nipples are available to replace regular sized cap nipples but remember, musket caps are quite a bit larger in size.
That size difference can cause a problem if the hollowed out hammer recess in the nose of the hammer isn't large enough to easily clear the larger cap.
You have a good point to consider. I will take a musket cap and check the hammer recess. I also need to check how straight the hammer lines up left/right as well. I have another option. I can call the local pawn shop which carry CCI musket caps and #11, and ask him if he has any #11 magnums. I will call him first thing in the morning. I had two misfires this afternoon on doves that were 20 yards from me!

In my Pedersoli SxS, I can't recall ever using anything besides CCI #11 magnum caps. I use TOTW stainless nipples, and never once had a problem. If the nipple is clear, I don't know how a SxS couldn't fire, it a direct straight shot into the powder. On the TC guns, the flame has to travel through a channel to get to the main charge. On TC's, I lightly bump the side after pouring powder, to try and get powder down that flame channel.
All my #11 CCI's are the regular ones is the issue I believe. I had two misfires today on dove 20 yards from me. I'm gonna call the pawn shop that carries CCI #11 and musket caps and ask him if he has magnums or if he is gonna order any anytime soon.

Not having any issues with regular CCI's in any of my revolvers or rifles and 3f Goex, I'm convinced my issue with my new side by side (with misfires using these caps) is that I am using 2f Goex.

You said it's a new shotgun, the factory nipples may very well be your problem, especially if it's a Pedersoli.. Change the nipples to Hot Shot nipples.

At times nipples get plugged with crude from the last cap at the top of them.

Take a nipple pick with you and check your nipple for crude prior to re-capping. If they have crude iat the top, you are just driving it down into the nipple..

T/C also sold vented nipples which help with mis-fires.

You said it's a new shotgun, the factory nipples may very well be your problem, especially if it's a Pedersoli.. Change the nipples to Hot Shot nipples.

At times nipples get plugged with crude from the last cap at the top of them.

Take a nipple pick with you and check your nipple for crude prior to re-capping. If they have crude iat the top, you are just driving it down into the nipple..

T/C also sold vented nipples which help with mis-fires.
I carry a pick with me and picked the nipples before recapping them today, and still it misfired. I am in the process of venting the factory nipples now. Heading out to get it done. if it is not raining tomorrow, I will go hunting. If I have no misfires, I will know if venting these factory nipples worked or not.

That is all I could come up with, let us know what worked.
Maybe this will make my regular caps work? I will let you guys know soon
20200916_233546.jpg

Nobody mentions size. #11 is a larger diameter than #10. I once had a rifle with an in between nipple size. The #11 would fall off and the #10 needed one hammer drop the seat the cap and a second to fire. Nipple replaced and #11 works fine. Note: I normally use regular caps and real black. Had to use magnum caps for Pyrodex though.

Way back when, Remington caps were terrible, you were lucky for a 50-50 chance of ignition.
A poor or lazy cap is dangerous, very dangerous.
CCI caps are good, RWS caps are great, if you can find a bunch of them, get them, buy as many as you can afford.
If you are in this black powder game for a long time get as many caps as your wallet will let you, you won't be sorry.
Besides you can always sell them later for a modest profit.
Fred

Not having any issues with regular CCI's in any of my revolvers or rifles and 3f Goex, I'm convinced my issue with my new side by side (with misfires using these caps) is that I am using 2f Goex.
I would be more concerned with fouling building up in the breech and the short flash channel to the powder charge. Remove the nipples and run a pipe cleaner from the nipple seat to the powder chamber. Magnum caps, having slightly more percussion material may blast through the fouling. Ultimately it is better to avoid the fouling in the first place. If you are wiping the bore between shots, switch to a loading process that avoids pushing powder down to the flash channel. Pour the powder, use an over the powder card, shot and a fairly damp over shot wad such as the wet cushion wad used in the skychief load to wipe the fouling from the bore.

Tell us your entire loading process.

Nobody mentions size. #11 is a larger diameter than #10. I once had a rifle with an in between nipple size. The #11 would fall off and the #10 needed one hammer drop the seat the cap and a second to fire. Nipple replaced and #11 works fine. Note: I normally use regular caps and real black. Had to use magnum caps for Pyrodex though.
Usually, the #10 and #11 caps are the same diameter. The difference is, the #10 caps are a little longer than the #11 caps. That longer length puts the bottom of the cap further down on the nipple and because the nipple is tapered, the bottom of the cap ends up at a larger diameter on the nipple. That makes it a tight fit on a nipple that would seem to be too loose when a #11 cap is installed.

You could try the 1075s. They seem to fit right between 11s and 10s.

I use what ever that I have in my shooting box. they all seem to work and I can't see any difference?

Back