• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different caps "now",,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people on here report problems especially with patient breech guns and it is often suggested they switch to a hotter primer so why could there not be a difference in some set ups.

I've always used about any cap that came along and was available. I'm a little more "picky" about musket caps but not the 10s and 11s.

All this talk about different brand caps. When I started muzzle loading about 1974 we had imported caps that were terrible and Remington caps with the foil over the priming mixture. I always used the Remingtons when hunting and sighting in for hunting. Don't know if they were hotter but they were way more reliable than the cheap caps. Have been using CCI magnum caps for more years than I can remember. Now after reading many posts here thinking about experimenting a little. Have a close friend who uses only RWS. In the past have purchased them for him when he couldn't find them. Never thought of trying some for myself. Interesting thread.

The only caps I’ve had many problems with were some old Remington where the priming fell out on some. I put the foil back in on some and most worked. I still have some old imported CVA from the late 70s and they seem to mostly work. Of course for a hunting situation I use fresh caps.

Three weeks back I was zeroing my long tube 6x scope on my Mortimer using RWS 1075 caps, measured by weight powder and projectile. Seven rounds after zero fell into a 1.5 group at a 100yds, benched. My capper ran out of RWS caps. A second capper was loaded with Remington 11s. First round with 11s went 6ins high, second round went 3ins to the left and 4ins high and last round went to the right 2ins and 3ins high all from point of aim. The only variable (s) in this program was the caps and maybe a blown out nipple. The Remingtons are 4yrs old, the RWS are 20+

The only caps I ever had problems with were musket caps. Lots of misfires, switched back to number 11. No problems with CCI or Remington.

Let's see, I shot 70 rounds out of 2 muskets this weekend. Zero misfires.

I've read and seen some info about different percussion caps effect on accuracy, velocity and reliability. According to "Remington" the "new" #10's and 11's are "40% hotter". Than what I do not know. Then there is CCI Magnum and "regular". I was bored, curious and felt like shooting. I used CCI #11 magnum and Remington #11 "40 % hotter" in the same rifles with the same loads. My chronograph didn't show a difference and neither did my groups. Depending on the rifle, one seemed to fit better than the other on specific nipples, but they each worked. I noticed the CCI is a slightly rounded cup while the Remington is really flat. Anyway, does eanyone actually see a difference with the most recent percussion caps?
40% hotter? Did the price tag reflect a 40% higher price? Just curious.

All the bench shooters I know won't unpack their gear if they left their caps at home and the same ones aren't available.

I popped a half dozen regular cci caps on a shotgun. Was walking back to pull the load, a guy handed me a tin of cci magnum caps. Both barrels went off with 1 cap apiece. I'm convinced magnum caps do make a difference.
I use CCI magnum caps in the summer when the humidity is crazy. They seem to make a diff. That is the only time and place I use CCI cap products, everything else is Remington. Wonder if the most recent (final?) bankruptcy issue /them will effect manufacture of caps?

I shoot a lot and use CCI and CCI Magnum, I do not see any difference between them.

Will not use Remington, stuff falls out of the cap and lives in the bottom of the tin.

"Around here the Remington is $1.00 less per hundred", when it comes to a penny a shot out of $1,000 pistol, I do not worry about that penny.

When I started shooting black powder Remington caps were most common, they definitely had quality control issues. CCI carne out and judging by the fragments they left in my right arm it was easy to see they were hotter.

Everyone has their own favorite, kinda like Blondes vs. Brunettes.
I think the bench rest shooter works up a load and knows deviating will cost them a match.

The average shooter won't see any appreciable difference.

All caps are hotter now (in last few decades) in order to ignite the various artificial black powders now in use.

Wonder how many bench-rest guys prefer flint, for its less violent ignition?

I prefer CCI. I switched to them 30+ years ago when the priming compound from Remingtons kept falling out. I have used RWS and think they are also a fine cap. But I have never found them stocked beyond muzzleloadier suppliers whereas CCI's are much more readily available in the chain stores. I find the CCI, CCI Mag and Winchester Mag #11 perform the same for offhand shooting. I rarely shoot from the bench unless working on a load and sighting in. My 'fire as the sights wander by' method of marksmanship hides any error caused by different cap brands. ;)

The only problem I've had with caps was with some Remingtons in the 1960s. The seal positioned over the firing compound would fall out but the caps still worked.

All caps are hotter now (in last few decades) in order to ignite the various artificial black powders now in use.

Wonder how many bench-rest guys prefer flint, for its less violent ignition?

Only guys shooting flint bench guns do so in the "flint" bench gun agg. They do not want to go head to head with percussion bench guns. Percussion bench aggs. go for 3 consecutive matches.

All the bench shooters I know won't unpack their gear if they left their caps at home and the same ones aren't available.

I popped a half dozen regular cci caps on a shotgun. Was walking back to pull the load, a guy handed me a tin of cci magnum caps. Both barrels went off with 1 cap apiece. I'm convinced magnum caps do make a difference.
I've not had any issues using rugular CCI's until I started shooting my new side by side shotgun. I have had quite a few misfires dove hunting last week and now after reading your post realize what I got to do, order some magnums! I wouldn't want to be deer hunting and this manure happen! Thanks for your reply man.

Do you think I can find a musket nipple for my perdersoli side by side shotgun? do not musket caps throw a larger flame? I'm just wondering because I already have 700 musket caps and a reliable local source of buying more.

Back