• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Difference between #11 CCI caps and Magnum CCI caps.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found some #11 CCI caps at a local sporting goods store and bought 4 pac's. When I got home, found that two pacs were Magnum. I assume that the Magnum are hotter but they were two dollars cheaper/100. Have never used the Magnum's and know nothing about them. Can't be returned, 4hr drive around trip anyway. Paid $9/100 for the regulars and $7/100 for magnums. Appreciate any shared knowledge on this. Thanks.

Be aware, hotter - Yes, but dirtier? HECK YES! FWIW I had a Mowrey percussion with a not-so straight flash channel and my thinking back then that 'more is better' ... and I would start having mis-fires.

While I had that rifle, somewhere online I found an article comparing grands and strengths caps, showing the flame temperature, length of burn and time of burn, etc.. That article also confirmed they magnum caps are dirtier.

The magnum caps have a little bit more priming compound. Hotter? Perhaps due to having more priming compound to burn. I have a pistol that has a hammer stop. It will not fire a standard cap, but will fire a magnum cap.

The magnum caps have a little bit more priming compound. Hotter? Perhaps due to having more priming compound to burn. I have a pistol that has a hammer stop. It will not fire a standard cap, but will fire a magnum cap.
The magnum caps are supposed to be like twenty three percent hotter than regular caps. I have Winchester and CCI magnum caps.

The Magnum caps were made to spark off Pyrodex and other subs better in sidelocks, for hunters in states that permit sidelocks or inlines that use #11 caps. This is most likely their sole advantage.

I've never seen a difference.

I have a #11 nipple for my ArmiSport CS Richmond and CCI Magnum #11's still do not reliably set off Pyrodex in it. So they can't be too much hotter than standard caps.

The Magnum caps were made to spark off Pyrodex and other subs better in sidelocks, for hunters in states that permit sidelocks or inlines that use #11 caps. This is most likely their sole advantage.

I've never seen a difference.

I have a #11 nipple for my ArmiSport CS Richmond and CCI Magnum #11's still do not reliably set off Pyrodex in it. So they can't be too much hotter than standard caps.
I have had problems with CCI caps in the past, and for hunting, I use the German Caps (Red plastic container) they have never failed me. Can't get them now so am loading up on whatever makes the rifle go boom. Have to adapt to the current supply situation. I shoot Pyrodex Select in all my rifles.

My son has an Investarms Lyman Great Plains Rifle that he shoots 777 in and it has shown a tendancy to not always go off with standard percussion caps. Switched to CCI Magnum caps and it goes bang everytime. As a result, that is all I use myself. Never had a problem with the "magnum" cap and as they are priced the same around here as are the regular CCI caps, I see no reason not to use them. Gives me more confidence to think they might be a little hotter.

I have the tiny Pedersoli Parlor pistol designed to launch .173 lead "BB's" with just a percussion cap. "Regular" caps will often not do the job. Switching to caps of the magnum" variety the ball is launched every time! So yes, the Magnum caps have a bit more "oomph."

I've mentioned this before, but I also use 777 and some site that I was on a couple of years ago mentioned measuring the size of the nipple to see if that was a problem with misfires. Measuring my new percussion .50, I found it to be pretty tight, Even for black powder, I believe it was .026, Which is a number 71 wire bit. So I bored it out to a 68 wire bit which is a .031 before I ever shot the rifle, And I don't have misfires. The used 45 caliber percussion I picked up last fall, which set the hammer back to safety cock On the first shot, so when I measured the hole, I found out it was a .037 or .038, Which is a way oversize. I don't load heavy, not over 45 grains of 777 which would be about 51 or 52 grains of black equivalent. The rifle hadn't been cleaned for many years, and I don't know if it was corrosion that made the nipple that big or whether it came about that size, as the rifle had not been shot very much. From what I can gather, if you load with heavy black, any time the nipple hole gets close to .032 to .035 it will start setting in the hammer back, Which is hard on hammers.
Squint

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220203-105457_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220203-105457_Gallery.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 0
When they first came out with the magnum caps I heard some people complain that their rifles weren't as accurate using them, but I never noticed any difference. I use whichever I can get.

The "magnum" caps have a little more of the priming compound. I do have a pistol designed for dry fire practice that has a stop to prevent the hammer from striking the nipple during dry fire practice. A standard cap will not fire, but a magnum cap will. Otherwise, there is no difference. I have had the priming compound fall out will just about all brands. Then again, I have had my flint fall out between shots too. Just have to remind myself that II need to pay heed to the components that I am using when shooting.

I've told this story on here before but it bears repeating. I bought a 20 gauge double barrel and was having trouble getting it to ignite. I was at the range, a competitor and I were using the pattern board. He saw my frustration. I was headed to my truck to pull the loads. He offered me some CCI Magnum #11s. I didn't think it would help anything but put the Mag caps on and aimed at the board. BOOM, the first barrel went! Shocked, I thought no way the caps caused that. Pulled the other trigger, BOOM, the barrel went off. You could've knocked me over with a feather.

I went home and ordered 1000 CCI Magnum #11 caps. All I use on my hunting guns.

BTW, he later broke 25 straight TWICE in Skeet competition, then won the shoot-off the next day with 24. I was not in his league, in every possible way.

Back