• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Didn't Happen Last Week, but it Did Today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I busted some caps and made smoke! Actually hitting the target! I started at 25 yards .535 round ball .095 pillow ticking dry lubbed patch. Cut at muzzle on top of 70gr ffg. I shot 20 round balls all hitting 9 and 1/2 inches below the the POA. Didn't think I was really going to be in the Bull but the windage was near spot on. 1/2 inch to the right. Didn't make any windage adjustments just laid all the balls in a 1 and 1/2 inch group. Policed up my patches for review and found them near reusable. No cuts or tears. I wiped between shots and never really noticed any difficulty in loading. I had a lot of people commenting on the rifle and it reinforced the pleasure of smoke poles! It's been a long time since The Pig has made smoke. Once I get a hundred balls out the pipe I'll start working on the accuracy part. I even found joy in the after shooting cleaning ritual. When got home from the range looked up Dawson's Sights sight calculator. Plugged the numbers in broke out the bastard file and promptly knocked the GPR front sight down from .366 to .170 finished it with a pillar file extra fine cut and a bit of Brownells Oxpho-Blue cream . Ready for the next range visit and I can not wait!

Why are muzzleloaders so addicting?

Because when you hold a muzzle loader, you are holding history, art, and the advance of technology in your hands. Because when you shoot a great target it is an accomplishment that is totally based on your own skill set and you own that success. When you make something to use or research some finding that adds to your knowledge there is that emotional lift that just makes you feel better.

Wow! That seems like a lot too take off the front sight... I hope you didn’t go too much.

I did on my GPR, cost me a new sight..

Since then when sighting in a new to me gun, I start up close 12-15 yards get the windage correct then move back to 25 yards, then I make the final adjustments at 50 yards.
I used the Marbles sight calculator, which is similar too the method you mentioned, but also includes barrel thickness measurements.

You sighted in more logically than I do. But I believe you meant to type .0095" ticking rather than the .095" which is nearly 1/10". If the thickness was indeed .095" then I stand corrected.

Dawson Precision Sight Calculator
Step One : Unload gun✔
Step Two : Front Sight Height Above Barrel .366✔
Step Three : Sight Radius 19.5" ✔
Step Four : Impact Distance from POA -9.5✔
Step Five : Distance to Target 900" ✔
Calculator Renders .160"✔
Sight Filed down to .170"✔

Still have some wiggle room as I was not using the the Notch in my rear sight. I was centering the blade in the Buckhorn top. Ultimate goal is to shoot close range with the notch and as distance increases elevate the front blade in the Buckhorn portion. I guess I'll see how it works out, hopefully soon!

Because when you hold a muzzle loader, you are holding history, art, and the advance of technology in your hands. Because when you shoot a great target it is an accomplishment that is totally based on your own skill set and you own that success. When you make something to use or research some finding that adds to your knowledge there is that emotional lift that just makes you feel better.
Grenadier said it all!

Even though my Wife is the only thing I retained from Algebra class, I tried a simple Quadratic Equation to get the right amount to whittle off the sight blade. Distance between sights/ x, equals the Distance to target/Bullet drop. It worked so well, I used it to drill a SMLE Enfield flip/peep for another rifle (Jungle Sight on 1 blade, 100yd sight on the other). Just remember to list the range in Inches. ( Remember the old USMC 1000inch M-16 range?) Tinhorn

Back