• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did the unthinkable to my GPR but I love it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced the stock lock with an L&R lock and it's so much better. Shoots well too.

Attachments

• 20211108_121617.jpg
    20211108_121617.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
First I took out some of the hook on the butt. I heated up the butt plate and bent it in a 1/4 inch. I also had to cut the bottom metal to fit the new shape of the butt plate. Took off some wood to fit the newly shaped butt and presto much more comfortable. I took the lock and trigger all apart and polished everything that had metal to metal touching.

Really made a big difference even without the set trigger pulled it's super smooth and brakes like glass. I bedded the tang and the first 3 inches of the barrel. I then got a wild hair up my A _ _ and maybe a shot or two of old Jack Daniel's..Sooo I refinished and striped the stock.

I took some snare wire and wrapped the stock up and took a butane torch and burned some stripes in. I then wet sanded with 600 grit and dark walnut stain. I proceeded with 6 coats of danish oil, I still haven't decided if I will just wax and buff or tru oil over the danish oil. I really like the look though and it feels so much better with the butt reshaped. View attachment 68151
I re-worked my GPR extensively, too. Nice look on your striping! Best of luck.

I replaced the stock lock with an L&R lock and it's so much better. Shoots well too.
I did that with mine before I ever fired a round out of the gun. I also replaced the flash hole liner with one of RMC's. I then had the lock CCH by Jack Brooks in Denver. Gun shoots very well and I like it. Although I havent done anything to the stock but yours looks great

I live it! But I'd never have the nerve, especially not to an already nice rifle. Maybe if I had a backup, I mean another rifle I loved as much. That way screwing up one, I'd still have one. Great job. I envy your skill and your ability to see what can be accomplished even before you start.

Fist strip the finish off take some wire and wrap the stock with it. Leave some gaps. Run a torch over it when you torch the wood don't stay too long in one spot. Take a maroon scotch pad at rub it down. Stain and finish the way you want. Maybe this video will help you.

Thanks @Ballshooter

I did a search on the Tube and came across that video. Faux Tiger Strip popped up after numerous searches using fake curly maple using torch. Go figure. I tried a test piece of hardwood early this morning.
No bueno.

I think the gauge wire I was using, or maybe because it was black, was the problem.
Not nearly enough flame was deflected. And my wire application looked every bit like his. Just way too much char.

I guess it's one of those things you have to figure out yourself and it either comes out of not.
Not looking forward to wrapping that wire. I wish we could get it on a spool like the video and not a coil that strips like a bird's nest.
But I picked up a heavier gauge in galvanized and will probably give it a go tomorrow. In spite of no specific instructions to follow.

Maybe try some aluminum foil twist it in a rope and wrap it leaving some gaps then hit it with the torch. Make several quick passes with the torch the wood will darken , stop when you like the darkness.

Last edited:
Well here is my results as promised! Again Thanks for all the helpful ideas and also starting this thread as I have learned something new! Reds

Attachments

• E646F04E-8899-4EE4-8C33-AF8E170EB4FF.jpeg
    E646F04E-8899-4EE4-8C33-AF8E170EB4FF.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 17BF62E1-2F92-4C82-B6D4-2902A6C1DFF4.jpeg
    17BF62E1-2F92-4C82-B6D4-2902A6C1DFF4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 39CFC139-1010-4F43-875D-6241E4B973E4.jpeg
    39CFC139-1010-4F43-875D-6241E4B973E4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back