• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did the unthinkable to my GPR but I love it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How “clean” was the stock after you stripped it down and before you burned it?

What are factory GPRs even finished with?

Just to be crystal clear, you used the stain as your wetting agent when you wet sanded?

I like it, kinda wanna give it a whirl with one of mine.
The stock was pretty light in color after I took the finish off, not sure what it was finished in originally. I used a finish stripper then lightly sanded. Wraped it in wire burned in stripes put one coat of stain on then wet sanded with the stain for two coats. Ater that apply the oil finish.

I just got a miroku copy of a gpr on here and it's rough enough for me to try this. Now, you say you "wrapped it". Does that mean you wrapped it solid, and the flames licked down around the wire, or did you leave the gaps where you wanted it to burn? I assume the latter, but as I've established, I'm a complete moron with common sense things.

I just got a miroku copy of a gpr on here and it's rough enough for me to try this. Now, you say you "wrapped it". Does that mean you wrapped it solid, and the flames licked down around the wire, or did you leave the gaps where you wanted it to burn? I assume the latter, but as I've established, I'm a complete moron with common sense things.
I left gaps in the wire,when I wraped it I made the lines kind of crooked so I didn't get just straight lines.

Please, somebody post a pic of the wire wrap job. Having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea.

I left gaps in the wire,when I wraped it I made the lines kind of crooked so I didn't get just straight lines.

Never thought of using wire? In my archery days I would make a spirals on my wood arrows with electrician tape and torch the gap I made it worked great but it doesn't with cheap tape. I use 3M and have no problem.

Just plain electrical tape? It didn't melt or leave a gooey mess? or am I thinking the heat needs to be left there longer than it does?

The actual wire for the bottom of a snare is krinkled, like women use for their hair (and those of us who used to play hard rock in the 80s)...

I remember "crimped" hair (my sister even had a crimping iron, or whatever they were called, back then). I miss a whole lot of things about the '80s, but that's not one of them. 😄

I like my GPR, but I never would have thought they could look that. I would have thought a custom built rifle, looking at the picture. DANNY

Please, somebody post a pic of the wire wrap job. Having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea.

Not quite necro...

Since the above question was never answered by anyone for some reason, does anyone have a youtube video they followed showing this?
I haven't searched youtube yet, I'm not sure exactly what this procedure is called, but rather I thought I'd try here where a couple folks seem to know the process, but just tease at how it's done :rolleyes:

Back