• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did some finger weaving today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After posting the winter projects thread, its built a fire under me to get done alot of the projects I've been meaning to do for years.

So today I wove a hemp rifle sling with brain tanned muledeer ends and heavy leather thongs. This will be a tie on type, to use with multiple guns. It has 20 strands and now that its finished I wish I would of used 26 strands to make it alittle wider.
GEDC0184.JPG
Jerry

Very well done. Finger weaving is on my list of to do things I want to try this winter. Thanks for the inspiration to get started.

After posting the winter projects thread, its built a fire under me to get done alot of the projects I've been meaning to do for years.

So today I wove a hemp rifle sling with brain tanned muledeer ends and heavy leather thongs. This will be a tie on type, to use with multiple guns. It has 20 strands and now that its finished I wish I would of used 26 strands to make it alittle wider.View attachment 2456 Jerry

Well done! Always happy to see others finger weaving projects. Obviously a excellent choice with the hemp. A wonderful and beautiful period craft indeed! Currently working on a 96 strand wool sash...

Jerry, hat's off. You have more patience and dexterity than I, but then I even find my home-made inkle loom a challenge.

I started by looking at a book on braiding, and it confused me. Went to you tube watched a video and it cleared it all up. These simple weaves are easy and fast. They have to be. I have the attention span of a shrew. Thats why there's 20 unfinished projects in the shop. However if the weather keeps up like this 5 degrees and 30 mph winds. I'll get a few more done.

Jerry

Once you get going it doesn't take that long. The first inch is the hardest then its smooth sailing, Well weaving. It only took about 1 1/2 hrs. with no breaks.

Jerry

Thanks. Might need to learn that technique. The only strap I've "woven" took forever and i was more than glad to be done with it when finished.

I started by looking at a book on braiding, and it confused me. Went to you tube watched a video and it cleared it all up. These simple weaves are easy and fast. They have to be. I have the attention span of a shrew. Thats why there's 20 unfinished projects in the shop. However if the weather keeps up like this 5 degrees and 30 mph winds. I'll get a few more done.

Jerry
Jerry,
Great job on the weaving and I salute your drive !!
BTW, do you have a link to that You Tube video ?
I am all thumbs on the weaving thing

Very nice work!!!!!! Well done! I too, needed a sling for an old fusil. I twined this one out of some hemp a few weeks back;

Some of my twining and weaving work from years back. I need to fire up again and do some more.

Most excellent work, Sir!!!
Here's a bag I did many years ago. It had a simple 4 way braided strap. I just weaved a new strap for it. Haven't got it quite finished yet
GEDC0121.JPG

Jerry

Well done Jerry!!! Open twined bags are not only nice but as you realize, very useful. I gave all the ones I did to friends years ago!!

I haven’t twined a bag in years. Like I stated. I need to get started again!!

Very nice work!!!!!! Well done! I too, needed a sling for an old fusil. I twined this one out of some hemp a few weeks back;

Some of my twining and weaving work from years back. I need to fire up again and do some more.

I really like that tumpline. Very nice.

Pardon the ignorance, what's the difference between twining and finger weaving?

Good morning Brokennock,

I suppose a good definition of twining is it is a type of "loomless" weaving where two seperate warp and weft threads are used. The weft thread being wrapped or twisted around the warp in succession creating the weave.
Finger weaving you are basically braiding only the warp threads. You kinda turn the warp thread into a weft as you braid. Does any of this make sense?

Hopefully someone here can give a better basic explanation :)

".... Does any of this make sense?

Hopefully someone here can give a better basic explanation :)

Thanks, but it only very vaguely makes sense. But, it gives me information to work with to figure it out. When (if?) I have time I'll do an internet and YouTube search.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back