• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did not fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I took my 58 Remington by Navy Arms out and fired it for the first time, (by me, it is a used gun) it fired 5 or 6, the cap went on the last one but no joy, I recapped the cylinder and fired again. Still no joy, the caps went as they should but it failed to set the main charge off. What is the best way to unload the cylinder that did not fire.

Remove any caps. Remove cylinder. Run a ball screw in to them and pull out
In absence of a ball screw a wood screw can be used. You can pull it with a pair of players, they won’t have to take much force.

Poke a paper clip or something through the nipple to make sure the channel is clear, re-cap and try again. If that doesn’t work, unscrew the nipple and drop a small load of black powder in and try again. Or, unscrew the nipple, get an appropriate sized punch and push the ball out.

Poke a paper clip or something through the nipple to make sure the channel is clear, re-cap and try again. If that doesn’t work, unscrew the nipple and drop a small load of black powder in and try again. Or, unscrew the nipple, get an appropriate sized punch and push the ball out.
Ok, the method that worked is number 3, took the powder out as best I could after removing the nipple, then tried to used a screw (not very good at hitting the middle it seems) then took a number 1 easy out, reversed it and pushed the ball and felt pad out. Thanks for the help.. There was no way I could put more powder in the cylinder chamber but I guess I could have pulled part and tried a new cap. Instead I did the complete removal and weighed the charge, it was just .3 grains less than I installed to start, so I think that was spillage from the unload.
Larry

BRASS OR ALUMINUM punch and do it with care. The best and safest way is uncap and pull the ball. Those nipple threads are very fine and can me mucked up resulting in a five shooter or the expensive purchase of a one time use metric tap.
I suggest a wood screw or a sheet rock screw and pliers.
Bunk

The Remington nipples enter the chamber from an angle and because of that it's very easy to strike the cylinder wall with the punch and possibly score it. It's better not to use a punch to drive the ball out. Colt nipples are in line with the cylinder bore and it isn't a problem there.

Last edited:
I’ve had several over the years (nipples on cylinder) that weren’t bored through. My newest ‘58NMA had one that wasn’t. I always check after cleaning or after disassembly to be able to see light. My 2 cents.
Be safe have fun!

What kind of powder are you using? With my ROA and Pyrodex I could not get ignition no way/no how. Stick with genuine black. Synthetics will cause trouble.
I very likely don't have the same round count with my revolvers as you do with yours, but I have yet to have Pyrodex P, the easiest thing to get when I first got into black powder revolvers, fail to ignite.

I imagine that under a percussion cap, the stuff should be as reliable as holy black. From what I've been reading here, though, the stuff does have a tendency to absorb moisture more quickly than black powder, and it apparently can't be dried out as black powder can be.

So, it would seem that properly stored Pyrodex, ignited under a percussion cap, with mechanically sound components, should be just fine from a functionality standpoint.

I've used Pyrodex P in pistols, revolvers and rifles for at least 30 years. Only the RS gave me periodic hesitation in rifles.

I've used Pyrodex P in pistols, revolvers and rifles for at least 30 years. Only the RS gave me periodic hesitation in rifles.
Same here. Pyrodex RS NEEDS some heat to ignite and some breech plug designs don’t seEm especially friendly towards the stuff. I can get hundred percent ignition from it with good fresh caps and a,VERY CLEAN fire channel unless it’s below zero or so. Then I will get hang-fires.

Latest posts

Back