• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did I screw up ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth by the way, I hunt with a Kentucky-style rifle (38 inch barrel!) out of a blind and while a little inconvenient it works for me. Don't let that stop you when the time comes to get another one! And that time will come, no doubt about it, unless you have more self-control than me.

Thanks BEAR3855, And you right, I have so self control either. Already thinking about the next project.

If I decide to go with conicals, would you have a suggestion on which conicals and load I should consider ?
Thanks

Given that the 50 ball is adequate, I'd look for something as light as possible. No need to cause damage on both ends. The standard 50 maxi ball weighs 370 grains but there's a lighter weight one.

I'm not a Lee REAL fan and didn't get good accuracy with them but some shooters get great results.

Given that the 50 ball is adequate, I'd look for something as light as possible. No need to cause damage on both ends. The standard 50 maxi ball weighs 370 grains but there's a lighter weight one.

I'm not a Lee REAL fan and didn't get good accuracy with them but some shooters get great results.

Hornady make a 240 grain lubed conical. I Might do some reading reading up on them.

The "rules" regarding twist rate are repeated relentlessly. Often by people who have heard it over and over but who have never really tried and tested this irrefutable knowledge.

So, it is correct in a general sense but well worth your effort to try it and find out for yourself.

A couple examples:

I had long ago a 58 caliber with a fairly fast twist. In the neighborhood of 1:30. It shot everything well but it was exceptionally accurate with a patched ball and 60 or 70 grains of goex ff.

For several years we had a regular in our elk camp who was both new to hunting and shooting. He had a fast twist 54 inline that he loaded patched ball over 90 grains of goex ff. It was not remarkably accurate, but I watched him shooting with completely adequate hunting accuracy at 50 yards.

A couple years ago we had some folks at an organized shoot with a 50 fast twist inline. That range had a safety agreement that specifically allowed onl PRB. They were inexperienced with ML but a couple members jumped in and worked with them and soon they were regularly hitting a ten inch gong at 100 yards off the bench.

So, ignore the experts and become your own expert. 😀
I have often wondered if anyone would ever tell it like it is?

It's not a PRB barrel but you may get lucky and it will shoot a decent load at the range you want. You'll be aware of the twist rate from now on when buying a gun. There's more to a PRB barrel than just the twist rate. the depth of the grooves matters too. A PRB barrel will have deeper grooves. A lot of guys aren't aware that the original Hawken rifles built by the Hawken Bros were a 1-48 twist but it had deep grooves.

I'll stick to a slower twist deep groove barrel for a PRB which is all I shoot. I know it will work.

The facts are you will not know until you shoot it. Dedicate some time, go to a range with powder, balls and patching and try different loadings. Be sure and rake supplies do you can cvs lean frequently.
I would not resolve myself or really sorry about it until I had exhausted the choices shooting round ball.

The myth that patched round balls won't work in fast twist rifles is like the mythological warning not to use 3F powder in large caliber muzzleloaders. Many shooters who never tried it still believe the hype.

The British military in our Revolutionary war used round balls in fast twist rifles.

Yep, patched round balls work better in barrels with deeper rifling.

One of the reasons for really slow twist rifling (about 1 turn in 80" and slower) is the fact the barrel will put loads with varying powder charges in the same group. i have a .54 caliber TC Renegade barrel with 1 turn in 92" that does that: Currently don't have the rest of the rifle. When prices go down i'll buy a Renegade minus barrel or with a roached barrel.

Most of my shots on deer and hogs are at ranges<60 yards. At those ranges a round ball performs very well, i have no need or desire for a conical.

It has a 1 in 32 twist, and from what I have been reading, this twist is to fast for round balls. Is this true ? I was thinking of using .490 balls with a .010 or .015 lubed patch sitting on 60- 70 grains of ff powder. Or will I need to look at lead conical bullets ?

Thanks in advance
Bill
My PA flintlock is a Getz sporter (28" barrel I cut to 24") that has a 1 in 25" twist 'cause I wanted to be able to shoot EVERYTHING. My go to RB load is a.490 swaged ball wrapped in pillow ticking in front of 90 grains of GOEX 3FG. From a bench it's capable of 4" groups @ 100 yards. Thats with a ghost ring peep. I'm not capable of shooting better than that anymore.

Get off the internet, right after you receive your powder and ball, and some pillow ticking, don't forget the caps. clean rifle, gather up your stuff and GO OUT AND SHOOT! Make notes as to which amount of FF BP or Pyrodex, or Number777 shoots best at 100 and 50 Yards. get confident with your stuff. Every shooter and rifle and powder work different for different folks. . . . . GO! .......Remember the goal is to have a good hunt, not on posting on some internet forum, BUT, after you do your thing, maybe you will have a happy experience to tell us about , here on the forum on some cold rainy day. OKAY?

Get off the internet, right after you receive your powder and ball, and some pillow ticking, don't forget the caps. clean rifle, gather up your stuff and GO OUT AND SHOOT! Make notes as to which amount of FF BP or Pyrodex, or Number777 shoots best at 100 and 50 Yards. get confident with your stuff. Every shooter and rifle and powder work different for different folks. . . . . GO! .......Remember the goal is to have a good hunt, not on posting on some internet forum, BUT, after you do your thing, maybe you will have a happy experience to tell us about , here on the forum on some cold rainy day. OKAY?

Very well said RrMackc. I need to quit over thinking this and like you said..get out, put some lead downrange and see what happens. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220103_111138.jpg
    20220103_111138.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220103_111119.jpg
    20220103_111119.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 75
Back