• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did I screw up ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 50 years of hunting and shooting, I decided I wanted to build BP rifle for hunting. I wanted a Kentucky Long Rifle kit at first, but with the OAL and knowing I would be in tree stands and deer blinds, I opted for something shorter. I found the Pedersoli Scout in .50 cal, it had a full stock and looked alot like a Kentucky.
I knew I wanted to stay fairly traditional and use BP and round balls. Most shots will be under 100 yards. Prob more in the 50 to 75.

Didnt know to check the barrel twist to determine what to shoot.

It has a 1 in 32 twist, and from what I have been reading, this twist is to fast for round balls. Is this true ? I was thinking of using .490 balls with a .010 or .015 lubed patch sitting on 60- 70 grains of ff powder. Or will I need to look at lead conical bullets ?

Thanks in advance
Bill
It’s a fast twist, true but you’ll have to experiment with it to know if it’ll shoot patched ball. I’d try a .020” patch with .490 bal and a charge on the low end. Maybe 50-60 grains or so.

It’s a fast twist, true but you’ll have to experiment with it to know if it’ll shoot patched ball. I’d try a .020” patch with .490 bal and a charge on the low end. Maybe 50-60 grains or so.

Thanks for the advice Bad Karma ! I will put that on my list of loads to try

Option #2.......make it as is and play ..work up loads, etc

Is what I will do.

Going to try round ball first and work up a load and accuracy that will work for hunting.

If that proves impossible, I will try minie balls and see if that works better.

I'm confident that there is a combination that will work well for this rifle. No need to get a different barrel or sell. I'm not shooting matches, just need a hunting load for under 100 yards.

Have a great day everyone
You might look around and see if you’re able to scare up a box of Hornady PA Hunter conical bullets. They’re 50 caliber and short so they don’t weigh much, maybe 240 grains or so.

You might look around and see if you’re able to scare up a box of Hornady PA Hunter conical bullets. They’re 50 caliber and short so they don’t weigh much, maybe 240 grains or so.

I have not looked at those. I will check into them. Never know. Might be the golden ticket for this rifle.
Thank you

Put black tape over the part of the manual that indicates the twist rate (like if it was your check engine light) and just work up loads it likes. Faster twist rate barrels can perform in a satisfactory manner with patched balls.

Best advice I've seen. Work up the load yourself. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Best advice I've seen. Work up the load yourself. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I agree 100%
Putting together a load book and start with some 490 and 495 balls. 50 grains of ffg, 010 and 015 patch and go from there
Also gonna try some minie balls etc

Looks interesting. I will definitely see if anyone has a box. Cant be as hard to find as #11 caps....

I found some if your serious about using them. PM me. I might try them myself. I just bought a .50 and then decided to hunt for elk. I need a .54 PRB in my state to be legal but I can use a conical and these Hornady's might be the answer. I'd rather not make the link public so they don't disappear before I decide if I want some.

I found some if your serious about using them. PM me. I might try them myself. I just bought a .50 and then decided to hunt for elk. I need a .54 PRB in my state to be legal but I can use a conical and these Hornady's might be the answer. I'd rather not make the link public so they don't disappear before I decide if I want some.

PM in route

Howdy everyone, Was hoping to make it to the range this weekend and start working up a load. Found everything I needed except the #11 caps. Seems no one has any in stock.
So I'll have to keep it in the safe and just dream about the fun I would have working up a Load :(

Wondering . . . did you ever get caps and time to find out what worked best?
This is a great story so far.... would sure be interested in how it turned out! (-:

Back