• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DGW Catalog Sticker Shock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looked at the current online DGW catalog and could not believe prices. Thought that i had logged onto one in a foreign currency. Very depressing.

Everything is going to go up with the way money is being printed. Not good if you are retired or nearing retirement and have wealth tied up in safe but non appreciating assets.

Everything is going to go up with the way money is being printed. Not good if you are retired or nearing retirement and have wealth tied up in safe but non appreciating assets.
Too true. seems like buying real estate outright is only hedge. The prices of parts and complete rifles and pistols is really sad and basically destroys what Muzzle loading used to be about. Also restoring ML guns is almost beyond most folks reach. Add on huge cost of living increases and ML be only a rich mans hobby. I have a 1973 DGW catalog in hand and prices then (as now) just hard to believe.

Dixie like every one else has seen their costs go up, demand go up, and availability of supplies go down. Which all lead to higher prices.Which makes for less people being able to afford to buy their products. When I retired I stocked up on all of my shooting supplies knowing my income would go down and prices would go up. Now due to health problems, and events being canceled it looks like I have a life time supply of supplies. But if others can't afford to shoot there will be more events canceled and my "shooting" will be limited to posting about it rather than doing it!

Life took us in another direction and post retirement income is not a problem. Its the cost and virtual absence of products and services. All of this seems based in political issues. The left is attempting to control everything including population reduction and stripping us of our constitutional rights. I used to collect and repair ML parts guns but the cost/availibilty of the parts has made that near impossible. There is not one part that is grossly overpriced -- if you can find it!!!!

Used to be that sticker shock was for old guys due to the cumulative effects of creeping inflation, but now the inflation is more like a predator charging in for the kill.

Makes me look at some project guns i have as only part - outs now. Same with everything from MLs to houses. If this inflationary cycle does not end soon we are looking at another worldwide depression bigger than 1929. Do you think its the plan?

Sold off a large number of BP items from late friends estate in Dec 2020. All are SIGNICANTLY more now and climbing. Am feeling a bit guilty. At this rate even a plain jane TC hawkin will be 1K or more. Don't even want to think about future food costs. Only upside is many will lose weight.

Inflation is real, survival is "iffy". Over the decades I've bought lots of stuff from DGW including at least one, maybe two guns. But most of what I bought was fairly minor stuff, but there was a fair amount of it. Twenty years ago DGW prices were quite reasonable on many things but definitely not everything. Some 18 or 19 years ago I wanted a US 1841 rifle in the original .54 caliber. The DGW catalog listed them but only in .58. The shock was the cost of the "Mississippi rifles". So I started looking around.

I turned up an outfit called (spelling?) Jarnigan's. They listed that very rifle for more than 40% LESS than DGW. They could also supply the rifle in .54 but it was a special order item. I went ahead and ordered the .54 and felt lucky to have found it at such a low price. Yes, there was a "reasonable" wait for the 1841 and I'm glad I made the decision to order from them. Euroarms was the importer and quality was amazing. Walnut stock, precise fit and finish, a truly fine representation of the classic rifle. To me the main attraction of DGW has always been the loads of odds & ends, misc. parts and hard to find stuff. I haven't ordered from them is quite a few years, but one never knows.

Sold off a large number of BP items from late friends estate in Dec 2020. All are SIGNICANTLY more now and climbing. Am feeling a bit guilty. At this rate even a plain jane TC hawkin will be 1K or more. Don't even want to think about future food costs. Only upside is many will lose weight.

TC’s were selling for $700 before they sold out ...

Fate has it in for me. I now know it for sure. I just wound up with really nice golden age Kentucky missing all the parts but barrel and stock. Was a complete Flintlock rifle but all the nicely inletted parts are GONE!!. Nice Green river 13/16 " 42" .45 barrel is unfired and stock is beautiful fancy curly maple. With everything thats going on (DGW included) I am so screwed.

Latest posts

Back