• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

determining the straightness of a bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmann

32 Cal
Reaction score
Newly purchased Colerain swamped barrel, 42", .40 cal, "A" wt. definitely curves a little to the right, as you sight down the barrel. looking down the bore, it appears to follow the same slight bend, but it may be my imagination. How can I determine the straightness of the bore?

Yeah, that was my first check after I noticed the bend by eye. I just hope the bore didn't follow the exterior discrepancy... I'll talk to Colerain about it.

Firstly talk to the supplier
Secondly remember most barrels will have a bend but not perceivable. Wherever the last bit points is where the bullet goes.
Also remember that the outside may not be concentric to the outside. Most barrel makers essentially label the runout by putting there marks on what is supposed to be the bottom of the barrel such that the bore points up to the exterior.
If you wish to measure outside runout then measure from flat to tabletop on each flat at the same point lengthwise. But this will not tell you where the bore points.
To measure run out at breech or muzzle fit a tight and straight mandrel to the bore and measure flat to mandrel. Again this does not tel you if the bore is straight.

To get some idea if the bore is straight.
Can you remove the breech plug?
If so look through the bore. Depending on your eyes the shadow may allow you to see a bend. Especially as you turn the barrel as the shadow wobbles and orbits around.

I have not tried it but I am told that the old barrel makers used to make a bow such that the string is strung at tension through the bore.
By then looking down the bore at the string against the bore wall bore run out was visible.

Latest posts

Back