• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Determining the barrel twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if I can post the link because it's on YouTube but if you search YouTube for Black powder TV Bob has a video on determining twist rate that is really good.
If you don't use YouTube what you do is use a tight fitting patch push it all the way to the bottom of the bore and mark the rod then slowly making sure that the rifling is engaged pull it up until you make the mark move a 1/4 of a turn then measure from the end of the barrel to the mark and times it by four and that should be close to your twist rate.
I think I explained it close enough.

I do what @Squatch84 does. I use a flag of masking tape to mark the rod at the muzzle. As I pull the rod out, the flag rotates. When the flag has rotated 180 degrees, I measure from the muzzle mark at the flag to the muzzle and multiply that length by 2 to calculate the twist rate. I do this at least three times with a new patch each time to keep the patch very tight in the rifling. Watch the flag. It needs to be turning smoothly as the rod is pulled.

Squatch84 must have a short barred rifle, but his method will work. Most of my rifles have 32" or longer barrels.

I don't know if I can post the link because it's on YouTube but if you search YouTube for Black powder TV Bob has a video on determining twist rate that is really good.
If you don't use YouTube what you do is use a tight fitting patch push it all the way to the bottom of the bore and mark the rod then slowly making sure that the rifling is engaged pull it up until you make the mark move a 1/4 of a turn then measure from the end of the barrel to the mark and times it by four and that should be close to your twist rate.
I think I explained it close enough.
Thanks for the info !

Tight patches work pretty good with muzzle loaders as the rifling is usually good and deep enough to grip the patch but if you want a better grip on more shallow rifling use some cerosafe chamber cast metal on a metal rod with some parallel file cuts in it so the rod can't turn inside the cast when cool.
A bit of melted ball lead works just as well put takes a bit longer.

Back