• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Desirable T/C Models

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the Hawkens, the Renegades, a 36 Seneca and a 32 Cherokee; love them all but always had a soft spot for the nearly unbreakable Greyhawk. Have got a couple 50s and they are favourites, but always keep an eye out for a clean 54.

For serious down-and-dirty hunting, they're hard to beat.

The custom shop Hawken from 1994 is highly desired. It came with premium walnut, no patch box and all blued steel hardware.
A really handsome rifle.
I can't argue with that! I remember those rifles, although I never owned one. It was the best looking out-of-the-box "Hawken" T/C ever produced, in my opinion. I think one of those sold from the classifieds on this forum some time last year.

Notchy Bob

I have cherokees, Senecas, cougars, Hawkens and renegade. Finally pick up the 56 SB the other day. I thought if I found a big bore I'd be done. But while searching I've found more I think I need. Supposely around 2000-2001 TC came out with a 40 cal that is quite rare. Did find an Express 50 cal, still on the fence about getting it. It never ends.

" Supposely around 2000-2001 TC came out with a 40 cal that is quite rare."

That would be the Cleland Match rifle, nice rifle. I have an unfired one sitting in my safe.

Dale, one thing I've learned after 41 years with the same gal is that a fellow should always listen to his wife! As they say, "A happy wife is a happy life!" If the lady wants you to keep them, that's the thing to do.

As for the question posed in the original post, there may not be a single, definite answer, but as we have seen, there are a lot of opinions. For me, the two most desirable T/C firearms would be the Seneca and the Cleland match rifle. I'm lucky enough to own a Seneca in .45 caliber, but the Cleland continues to elude me.

The Seneca is not just a scaled-down Hawken. The Seneca is in fact smaller and lighter than the T/C Hawken, and available in smaller calibers, but it is more refined and infinitely more graceful. The nosecap and trigger guard on the Seneca "flow" better with the lines of the stock. The hammer and snail are both more aesthetically pleasing. However, the Seneca is also a shooter. It gives up nothing to the Hawken in handling or "shootability."

I've never actually handled a Cleland match rifle. I understand these were only produced in small quantities, but the concept behind this rifle's design is a good one... Give people a practical, range-ready, dedicated target and match rifle at a reasonable price.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Marriages run best with strong command and control, I have been a Spec. 5 for 40 years……out ranked, just like when I got drafted in ‘70…works fine for me…..wouldn’t have it any other way.

Latest posts

Back