• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Desert Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my Remy out to shoot today:

6D550958-A863-4823-9DB3-95CC8E46FD72.jpeg

It’s my Uberti 1858 and just recently I replaced the loading lever on it. The original got bent when I tried to put in too much powder. Lesson learned! Found the replacement on eBay for a great price. It’s blued but the rest of the gun was antiqued by me. I actually think the two tone looks pretty cool, like it got repaired on the frontier or something, I fired about 40 rounds and it was great.

-Smokey

View attachment 97282

It’s my Uberti 1858 and just recently I replaced the loading lever on it. The original got bent when I tried to put in too much powder. Lesson learned! Found the replacement on eBay for a great price. It’s blued but the rest of the gun was antiqued by me. I actually think the two tone looks pretty cool, like it got repaired on the frontier or something, I fired about 40 rounds and it was great.

-Smokey
great looking pistol!

View attachment 97282

-Smokey
Oh, man! Great photo, and great 'repair'; yeah, just like it was fixed on the frontier! I'm printing the pic out! Great!

View attachment 97282

-Smokey
Good fun!

I'll have to agree, I have never seen a nicer portrait of one of those revolvers. Excellent photography.

You did a super-nice job on the patina finish on the gun, too. I recall this was discussed in a thread within the past year or so, but I don't remember your technique.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Good fun!

I'll have to agree, I have never seen a nicer portrait of one of those revolvers. Excellent photography.

You did a super-nice job on the patina finish on the gun, too. I recall this was discussed in a thread within the past year or so, but I don't remember your technique.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Hey, Notchy, how 'bout some tips on how you did the 'weathering' look on that nice revolver! Thx.

Thanks, gang! I used plain old fashioned vinegar obtained from plants.

Then, some cold bluing and browning solutions on certain areas. Some water helps. I looked at photos of originals to help pick wear areas and buffed ones back with steel wool. The grips were stripped of their bright red Italian varnish with Citristrip, a solution that uses oranges and things. I next distressed the wood by “beating the devil out of it” as Bob Ross would say, and stained the wood with some walnut stain. Some linseed oil hand rub finished the job.

Are you in Sierra Vista? Years ago, I was stationed out there and used to go shooting at a chunk of land out past the San Pedro River.
Love SV! Retired out of Ft Huachuca and would have stayed, but then there was serious talk of closing the fort (BRAC) and I knew the economy of SV would be rock bottom if that happened. Fortunately that didn't happen, but I was gone by then. A lot of places to shoot out there in the desert.

Back