• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Descending aim offhand.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osseon

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi there, I've seen a few videos like this one here: Where the person shooting starts aimed at a 35 or 25 degree angle and slowly drops the barrel of the weapon until on sight and then promptly shoots.

I was wondering is there a purpose for aiming the gun at a high angle and slowly descending until on target. Is it an old outdated way to shoot, or is there some value to be had doing it? If there is value, how does one do this properly and is there any reading material on it? Seems like it would be difficult to lower it on the target as the target would be obscured by the rifle.

Its quite hard to research it without knowing the name of the style, and when googling words such as "Gun" and "lowering/low/descending" in the same sentence it just mostly comes up with gun control articles haha.

Target shooters, mostly do stuff like this. Especially with a Swiss-stance (which he is mostly using supporting hand near the trigger guard, even using a palm-rest sometimes, back weighted stance)) it allows you to position everything and relax without taking the full weight/leverage of a longer rifle until just before you fire. He is shooting a little fast, after fully lowering the rifle, but then again, he's not going for competition accuracy. I personally prefer to carry my guns muzzle up, with the wrist at my waist, then when the animal/target presents itself (or in the case of targets, I'm ready to shoot) go through a similar motion (usually a little more subtle, so as to not spook it).

The barrel is going to move. Like Ohio Ramrod points out, conceding movements will happen it’s more productive for most of us to attempt to impart some kind of predictability to the inevitable movement of the barrel rather trying to simply hold it motionless.

The barrel is going to move. Like Ohio Ramrod points out, conceding movements will happen it’s more productive for most of us to attempt to impart some kind of predictability to the inevitable movement of the barrel rather trying to simply hold it motionless.

This makes sense, once I get my long rifle I'll have to try it after I get it sighted in.

I have had people tell me that this style of shooting can lead to trigger jerk/grab, sight flinching, or shot anticipation with some people, and which seems hard to get over if inflicted. I have seen it more prevalent in hand gun shooting and target archery.

Good to know. Luckily I'm terrible shot with a pistol anyways. :oops:

I have had people tell me that this style of shooting can lead to trigger jerk/grab, sight flinching, or shot anticipation with some people, and which seems hard to get over if inflicted. I have seen it more prevalent in hand gun shooting and target archery.
It is a matter of discipline and practice...it does work.

I have heard it referred to as "drawing down on a target". I think it works best with a muzzle heavy rifle. Like any other marksmanship method, it takes practice.

I’m just the opposite. I raise the gun til on target, then fire. Learned that as a gunner in the navy. When the ship rolled, which it always does, you fire when rolling up to the target.
I have found that raising the rifle keeps the target in sight all the time. This is especially important when shooting at a moving target. I think that leading a moving target would be next to impossible if you came down on the target.

I have always felt that shooting by drifting up/down or laterally is done to “focus” the eye and trigger break at the moment of target acquisition. I think the better method is to train the eyes to focus “intently” on the front site with the trigger break at that peak intensity… without purposely drifting the sight. If the rifle/barrel is too heavy for the shooter he should either shoot before fatigue sets in, or go to a lighter or better balanced rifle. The same applies to un-mentionable rifles as well. IMO.

Raise up on target as per military...always have eye on front sight and target movement. Drawing down if a moving target...you don't see it, then you have to chase it...defeats fast acquisition.

Which do you think is the best method? If you are shooting from a bench rest it doesn't make any difference. If you are hunting it is a whole new world.
In a hunting situation, I think ascending would be better because of a possibly moving target. On a range, descending would be better.

Best to know both and how to use them. When we're instructing, I try to focus first on fundamentals and then we'll move into this stuff, especially if a kid is having trouble holding steady.

Back