• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Derringer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How's the Pedersoli Derringer?
Screenshot_2021-07-13-12-32-41-1.png

Quality? Fun gun? I want one and a Barlow knife to make a 19th century "EDC" setup lol. Have always fancied them and I know Pedersoli is usually good but can have duds.

Thoughts?

Does it need to be a Philadelphia Derringer?
I ask as they are rather pricey.

They shoot as well as any other derringer. They are designed for "up close and personal combat"... OR "Look, I brought a gun to our knife fight" situations. ;) So they are meant for targets at about seven feet away.

This guy uses a mallet to load, so he's not using the right patched ball combo (imho)
Shooting Philadelphia Derringer
NO Idea why he doesn't show his target, or even if he hit it.

Now IF you wanted the best "option" for the time period, and you had a choice, the Liegi pistol would be better (imho). In fact you'd want a brace of them [2]. and a good fighting knife, for EDC. The screw-barrel meant that the bullet was forced onto the rifling, and that friction built up a little better pressure than you get from an equal load in the Philadelphia Derringer. So the ball would hit harder, hence they were very well liked as SD hideout guns.

LIEGI 44 DERRINGER.JPG

Shooting the Liegi
Different guy from the first video, but he too doesn't show the target, IF he had one.

The great thing too is that they are available in KIT form from Dixie Gun Works and a brace of them will cost you less than a Philadelphia.... and they are "in stock" right now, another plus in this post COVID time....
Liegi Pistol Kit - DGW

I hope this helps. OH Dixie also offers the Philadelphia as a kit.

LD

I have a Liegi and haven’t figured out how to hit the broad side of a barn with it yet. That said, it’s a really neat and well made little pistol.
7A1BF84D-B538-4FE4-9CAA-E3E8179451C7.jpeg

-Jake

I've had the Barlow for many, many years but no Derringer. Wanted one for a long time, but the cost!

Can't help with the Pedersoli derringer. I have the Philadelphia model from CVA which is very similar. Don't be put off by the negative comments on accuracy, a pistol shooter can do better than they would have you believe. ;)
derringerA.jpg

Ten shot group, 7 yards, 5-inches:
Derringer 7yd.JPG

Spence

The brass gizzi is a Polish Capper, made in Poland. For me, it works a whole lot better than the other cappers, and it will press the cap on the nipple, without using a cap setter.
The white derringer was imported by Traditions, and is 1 of 2000, as is proudly stamped on the barrel.
The dark wood is on an original muff pistol with the Liege stamp. The springs are tight, the barrel screws off, and the trigger drops down when the hammer is cocked.
Fun stuff....
IMG_6639.JPG

Liege proof mark:
IMG_6635.JPG

I have a pair of "New Orleans Ace" pistols and they are also reliable and quite fun to shoot, as long as you don't expect accuracy.

I bought a kit Derringer (Traditions?) and couldn't get it to work, the main spring was binding in the lock. They took it back and gave me a larger pistol as a replacement (which worked quite well).

I still want one of the Deringer kits, but hopefully one that actually shoots.
How is the CVA Derringer? Is the lock functional?

Brazos John, thanks for the explanation of what the GIZZI was. and the DERINGERS are SPOT ON. real beauties. thanks' for posting them.

Loading a Derringer with a tight load for accuracy? The effective range is 7 to 20 feet. A loose load will do just fine.

A copy of a firearm made by Henry Deringer should be a Derringer. My replica of a Henry Deringer rifle is a Derringer Rifle. I need to get Derringer stamped on the lock.

Last edited:
Back