• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I always wanted a Derringer for no reason of which I know, I just want one.

Any recommendations for one, source and quality, I do not want junk? I do not really plan on shooting it, just want one to join my other pistols.

I always thought they looked interesting.

I gotta a wife, a dog, couple of cats and other stuff, and not a Derringer.

Not interested in building a kit.

Help.

Traditions still makes a factory finished derringer for $199 and have sold many over the years.--->>> https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/pist...derringer-pistol-wood-stock-45-cal-p1015.html
I recall a Traditions special run of white ones that were made for the Sportsman's Guide long ago that are occasionally offered for sale that had a more "elegant" look.
But I haven't seen any other brands being sold new besides Traditions and Pedersoli except for an occasional older completed Dikar or CVA that's still unfired.

Here's a Box O' Truth photo essay about shooting a CVA Derringer that was built from a kit with up to 40 grains of powder performing a water jug test.--->>> https://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-66-shooting-a-black-powder-pistol/

And another photo essay showing how the author built the same CVA Derringer from a kit.
He admitted that it was more tedious to finish building it than expected.--->>> https://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-65-building-a-black-powder-pistol/

Traditions does still make a .45 Derringer kit @ $169 for others who may be interested.--->>> https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/pist...nger-pistol-kit-wood-stock-45-cal-kp5015.html

Traditions also makes the swivel barrel .31 Derringer Vest Pocket that works well, but I didn't think that's what you were interested in.

Last edited:
On Gunbroker there's an older unfired CVA .31 Derringer Vest Pocket model up for auction that has larger wood grips and is marked "Italy" [Item 804713920],
and also an unfired cased Pedersoli Liegi .44 Derringer with accessories that has a screw barrel and a folding trigger [Item 804170780].

Last edited:
While we're on the subject of derringers, we might as well have some pictures.

101158698_68483_A9D30959D4C45887.JPG
101158698_68483_23D897B10F8FB50C.JPG
derringer-vs-zombie.jpg
wm_2218894.jpg
kyle-derringer.jpg
lead-derringerfrt5673.jpg
A-flintlock-muff-pistol-with-unscrewable-barrel.-Photo-Credit-640x372.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
920962_-_photo_1_1496828531_img.jpg
ON1871__02.jpg

Extremely Rare Ivory Stocked Henry Deringer Philadelphia Percussion Pistol.--->>> https://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=9387463

I believe that the photos below are of one of the white derringers made for the Sportman's Guide.
It's number 1088 of a 2000 gun limited edition "PHILADELPHIA DERRINGER" made by TRADITIONS.
It was auctioned in 2012 in NEW & UNFIRED condition.
The stock is made to look like imitation ivory, trigger guard is brass and the barrel and lock are nickle plated.

100_3098.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
100_3099.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
100_3100.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
100_3101.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
100_3102.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
100_3103.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
100_3104.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a video of the .54 Derringer Great Gun.
He doesn't start shooting it until after the 4:00 mark [a lot of shots fired rapidly after 4:10 - 4:15].

Last edited:
There are really only two quality derringers out there. I am assuming you mean of the genre that Booth used to assassinate Lincoln? Pedersoli makes one that is nice quality for about $450. The other is to watch gunbroker or gun auctions for a set of the U.S. Historical Society Lincoln Derringers. This is a pair with powder flask and accessories housed in a book like case. They were made by Uberti and the quality is way up there. Real price when listed as an auction will be between $800 and $950 but that is a bargain. You will also see them listed as a buy it now for over $1500 but they never sell for that so don't be sucked in. Back in 1982 the sets sold for $2800 to folks who had more money than sense. At todays prices they are a steal.

Here's a closer look at the factory made Pedersoli in a 2:38 video posted by capandball in 2011, with 2 shots fired:

Last edited:
Cap n Ball has some good videos. As nice as the Pedersoli is though the us historical/Uberti derringers would make you throw rocks at the Pedersoli. Seriously. There is a set currently on gunbroker at a fixed price that is way to high but the pictures are worth looking at.

Cap n Ball has some good videos. As nice as the Pedersoli is though the us historical/Uberti derringers would make you throw rocks at the Pedersoli. Seriously. There is a set currently on gunbroker at a fixed price that is way to high but the pictures are worth looking at.

A Gunbroker item number would be most helpful.
No Derringers are coming up in the results by doing searches for Uberti Derringers or U.S. Historical Society Lincoln Derringers or U.S. Historical Society.
Are they still listed?

I'm feeling a little confused here. He shot a single .44 ball at close range and it penetrated one water jug. Yet it has been posted in another thread that THREE .44 balls in a slightly longer barrel and with 20 gr. of powder penetrated a steel drum at 15 yards. Does a couple of inches make up for that?

My first muzzleloader was a CVA I built from a kit in 1979. It cost about $25.00 back then. It looked nice but leaked from the joint between the breechplug and barrel. I wouldn't recommend if you are looking for a shooter.

Here's a video of the .54 Derringer Great Gun.
He doesn't start shooting it until after the 4:00 mark [a lot of shots fired rapidly after 4:10 - 4:15].

I’ve talked to the manufacturer and a few distributors in Europe but can’t get one shipped to the good ole USA.
Does anyone in the USA own one? & If you don’t mind, how did you get it?

Alway see plenty of these tiny pistols for sale at the NMLRA Nat`s every year. Mostly over valued for their so-so workmanship. Some are fine custom pocket pistols. Both cap and flint. Many years one of our match shooters would buy one as a novelty and let many of us try it out. Fun to shoot a novelty mini pistol for a few shots until you bored with a gun designed to be accurate just outside knife range. Just bought a Rem. Pocket .31 cal. revolver. Shoots better than all the mini single shots I have tried in spite of small sights. Clays at 10 yards rapid fire are easy with the Rem. 31. ...c

Im a fan of the cva model. Here's mine, with a can of copenhagen for size scale.

It is my opinion that it was a great loss to us when cva stopped manufacturing these. Traditions picked up the rights, but the traditions models look kind of like the same way old-timer knives began to look after schrade sold the rights to China...C-H-E-A-P.

These derringers are still around though....just not widely available. They do come up on gun broker occasionally...but be careful.

20211122_172018.jpg
20211122_172039.jpg

Back